Chapter 7

Y/N POV*****

A couple of hours later, Y/N stood in her closet tapping her nail on her chin trying to figure out what she would wear tonight. She glanced over at the scars on her arms frowning as she rubbed them. After everything, she still wasn't ready to let Joe see them, she knew he'd want to know the story and she definitely was not ready for that. She picked out a dress along with some cute sandals and was fixing her hair when she heard a knock on the door and then the door open.

"Y/N?" She smiled as she heard Joe calling her name.

"Back here," she replied as she started putting in her earrings, smiling when she saw him in the vanity mirror walk up behind her.

"You look amazing, love." He leaned down and kissed her shoulder.

"Thank you. I didn't realize we were going coordinate our outfits either." She smirked.

"Well, you know what they say: Great minds think alike. You ready to go?" Y/N nodded and smiled at Joe when he lead her to the living room. She gasped when she saw the huge bouquet of flowers on the table. "I thought since this is our first proper date, flowers would be acceptable?"

 "I thought since this is our first proper date, flowers would be acceptable?"

"Flowers are always acceptable, but you really didn't have to. They're beautiful, Joe." He smiled before kissing her on the cheek and lead her out the door to the rented car. "You're driving?" He opened the door to let her in before getting into the driver's side himself.

"Of course. It's just on the opposite side of the road right?" Joe started the car and turned the radio on to head to the restaurant.

CANOE was a perfect little restaurant on with a view of the river. There were not a lot of people there and the meal was superb. Joe talked about his past work, telling Y/N about series he had done in the UK. She laughed when he told her about his prep work for playing Eddie, how he immersed himself in learning to play the guitar for one of the final scenes he would be shooting. Towards the end of dinner, Joe reached across the table to take her hands. "I just realized I have been talking almost non-stop all evening."

"Well, Mr. Quinn. What would you like to know about me?" She leaned her chin on her palm. Joe looked at her and gave a her a mischievous grin, nodding and ready to accept the challenge.

"Family?"

"Mom lives with my sister in Louisiana. I moved to California after my dad died about 10 years ago."

"Childhood?"

"Good. Moved a lot around Louisiana before we settled down in Baton Rouge. I stayed there for high school."

"Were you happy?"

Shoe looked down for a minute, then back at him. "I was a bit of a loner. I don't really fit in with the groups in school so I was a little anti-social. I had friends but we were kind of the outcasts."

"Like Eddie?" She nodded.

"His character is very relatable for me you know? When I was younger, I was always interested in guys like that. They were always really nice to me. It was not something I got to have very often form the other kids."

"They bullied you?"

She shrugged, "I looked different. I was tall, and, you know," she motioned her hands towards her body. "Anyways, when a guy was nice to me, I always latched on to quickly and ended up with feelings that were never reciprocated. So it kind of left me with a sense of desperation. I knew I wanted to have a family and be a wife and all that."

"So..."

"So... I married the first guy I had a serious relationship with. I figured it was going to be my only chance to be happy with someone. I settled." She took a sip of her wine and took a deep breath.

"So what happened?"

"Oh, we stayed married for about 5 years and then he decided to leave me for my former best friend." She nodded and raised her glass before finishing the drink. "See, he wanted to have kids. I didn't." She leaned in starting to feel the alcohol take effect a little, motioning for Joe to lean closer and whispering. "See, I didn't want to have a kid because he was beating me. He would get so upset that I wasn't getting pregnant that he would hit me. I wasn't about to bring a child into that." Joe frowned and kept listening as she continued. "So, one night, he left to go to the bar and have drinks with his friend. He left me at home like always. So I thought I would go see my friend Gloria as a surprise. Imagine my shock to get to her house and see his car in the driveway. I just sat there in the car for ten minutes and it hit me. This was my way out! So I go out of the car, and I slashed his tires and left him."

"Wow. What ended up happening?"

"Oh they moved to Texas and have 3 kids now. She is a hair dresser and he builds engines for cars. It's actually quite sad. So he got his kids and I got a one way ticket to California to start over."

"That's absolutely mad..." Y/N nodded as she started feeling a little better having gotten some of her story off her chest. There was still a lot, but she didn't want to share too much and scare Joe off or anything.