Chapter 34

Shirokage sighed from her place atop one of the buildings. 

The exercise had begun nearly twenty minutes ago, and none of the students had come even close to finding her. Honestly, it was a little disappointing considering how there were multiple people in the class with sensory aspects to their quirks. Unfortunately, however, far too many of the students weren't exactly grasping the concept of working together. A few of them were just too overconfident, others were easily frustrated, and others were just too meek to try and speak their minds. 

There was one thing that especially grated on her nerves, however. 

With both her eyes on the screen of the laptop she'd pulled out at the beginning of the match, where all of the security feed was currently being streamed, she whipped out her phone and dialled an all too familiar number. 

"Nezu-san?" Shirokage started as soon as the other end had been picked up, pulling up another tab on her laptop to do a bit of research. "Exactly how much authority do I have when it comes to expelling students?"

*****

Izuku knew there was no chance of them winning from the very beginning. 

Out of all the students in Class 1-A, he had probably known the most about the mystery known as Shirokage. 

Before receiving One for All, he had originally planned on going into underground heroics like Aizawa-sensei. It just seemed like the most logical route for him to take considering his quirklessness. 

Besides, while he absolutely adored spotlight heroes, underground heroes had been his favorite for the longest time. (All Might wasn't included in this competition of favoritism simply because he was in another class all on his own.)

Underground heroes took care of the villains hiding in the shadows of the night. They were the ones that took care of the muggings, the rapes and rape attempts, drug trafficking, murder, and so much more that others would just overlook. The underground heroes were never in it for the fame like so many of the spotlighters. They just wanted to help people, and Izuku held so much respect for them for it. 

After all, helping others was all he had ever wanted to do. 

It was his admiration for underground heroes that led to his discovery of vigilantes. More specifically, it led to his discovery of Shirokage. 

In the past three years, she'd grown immensely popular, often being called a savior hiding in the shadows or a handy-dandy villain deterrent, and yet there was no concrete evidence of her existence other than a few notes that she had written to the police. No photos or videos had ever been taken of her, and nobody had ever seen her face. The only facts they even knew about her appearance came from the words of the police and the criminals that the vigilante had caught and those words alone. 

From what Izuku could find, Shirokage could often be found helping out different police stations along with multiple underground heroes with their work. She had practically dismantled different sex trafficking rings and drug trafficking rings on her own. She patrolled the areas that most heroes were too scared to venture into, and he had even heard of her helping out with simple things such as getting people's cats out of trees or helping people with their groceries. 

Back in junior high, one of his female classmates had once come in with a story of how Shirokage had walked her home from the library at night after she had admitted to the vigilante that she was too scared to walk alone. 

It hadn't taken him long to begin admiring her as much as he did underground heroes. 

It was honestly her that had made him come to the decision that he'd become a vigilante if he failed to get into the hero course.