Chapter 1

All she could see was fire.

    She was trapped. Trapped in a building consumed by black flames. And, even though the flames didn’t burn her, she screamed. She screamed from rage and regret and sorrow. How could she not scream? She had just witnessed one of the only people she had left die right in front of her. No, he hadn’t just died. He had been killed in cold blood.

    She no longer cared about escaping as the building collapsed. She just sat there, clutching her hair that had somehow turned black, as though it responded to her frustration. Her eyes were wide and seemed hollow as tears streamed down her face, and something similar to her hair occurred with eyes. However, instead of turning black, her eyes had taken on a crimson red hue. She no longer had any control of herself, and her mind seemed to be lost in despair as she could only listen and scream along with the others who had also been in the building at the time.

    It didn’t take long before the building collapsed in a heap of rubble.

It was only then that silence fell from amongst the screams. The only sounds to be heard were the crackling of the fire and the sobbing of the girl, who, despite all odds, had somehow survived.

Waking up with a start, Masami almost started hyperventilating before she finally realized that she was still in class. It was unlikely that she'd end up being harmed at school of all places. And if she ended up having a panic attack right here and now, who knows what kind of questions might be raised. All she could do was calm herself down and be thankful that nobody had yet to notice her panic.

Honestly, she was surprised. Normally, when she had nightmares, she woke up screaming. But she wasn't complaining, that's for sure. She supposed that her classmates were too preoccupied listening to their teacher to even notice that she had fallen asleep.

Speaking of which, she should probably pay attention as well.

“Since you guys are finally third years, I think it's about time you start thinking seriously about your futures.” Masami wiped her eyes of any tears and fixed her unruly brown hair that had been covering her face from her place in the back of the room as the teacher began his long spiel. It was the typical speech, though, for a class of third years in Junior High, so it didn't seem like anything special. “I'll pass out since handouts for your future plans, but…” He swiped the handouts off his desk. “You guys are all pretty much planning on going into the Hero Course, am I right?!”

Throwing the handouts into the air, the entire class cheered and showed off their quirks at the teacher's guess. It was pretty on point, and there were only three people who weren't showing their enthusiasm. Those three included Midoriya Izuku, Bakugo Katsuki, and Hideyoshi Masami. The three were childhood friends, and each had a different reason for not getting excited.

Midoriya, of course, had no quirk to show off, but he still raised his shaky hand. Despite everything, he still aspired to be a hero. He wanted to be a hero above all heroes. A hero just as good as All Might who he had admired for the longest of time.

Bakugo also wanted to be a hero, and he already had the quirk for it. Unfortunately, his powerful quirk had made him a bit too smug over the years, and he already thought himself above others. The only ones who could ever put him in his place were his mother and, ironically enough, Masami.

Speaking of which, Masami had no interest in becoming a hero. Honestly, she felt a bit awkward being the only one in her class not planning on going into a hero course of one of the many schools in Japan that trained up and coming heroes. Either way, it's not as though she had a quirk to use as a hero.

“Yes, yes, you all have wonderful quirks.” Their teacher finally made an attempt to calm them down as the students began to get out of hand. “But you all already know that using them is against the school's rules.”