happy birthday i guess- yelena

Waking up I felt happy

Waking up I felt happy. Which wasn't something that happened often. But that happiness quickly died as I left the comfort of my room.

Today was my birthday.

I wasn't usually one for birthdays but seeing as it was my first birthday with the Avengers I was a little excited to see what everyone would say.

It was dumb.

Walking into the compounds kitchen I bite back a smile as Steve grins at me and waves me over to him and Sam who slouches on the couch opposite with the same cheeky smile on his face.

"Good morning Skye. I hope you slept well." Steve smiles, his eyes wrinkling in the corners as he glances over at Sam.

"Now we know todays a special day so we wanted to ask you something." Sam sits up a bit straighter as he directs his attention to me.

My smile grows a little at Sams words, excitement creeping in my mind.

"Mmm what's up?" I ask crossing my arms over my chest with a raised eyebrow.

"So today is Sam and I's three year anniversary from when we met. And I proposed we go out to lunch but Sam thinks that's weird." Steve chuckles rolling his eyes.

Instantly my heart drops.

Averting my eyes to the floor I let my arms fall back to my sides.

"Oh uh. I'm not sure. I'm probably not the right person to ask about this." I shrug turning to walk away.

Steve's voice halts me mid way to the door.

"Oh and Skye."

Turning expectantly I raise my eyebrows.

"Yeah?"

"Don't be late for training this afternoon." He laughs and I quickly turn away trying to hide my tears.

It was dumb anyway, it's not like they would care even if they knew it was my birthday.

Ignoring Steve's last statement I make my way back to my room closing the door and collapsing onto the bed with a light sigh.

Being alone, my thoughts slowly begin to surround me, sending me spiralling like always.

[]

An hour later and I had left two huge wet patches against my pillow, the tears flowing down my face still falling as much as I tried to stop them.

A light knock on my door caused me to sit up, hastily rubbing my eyes although I knew it would do no good.

"Skye, trainings on in 10." Nat's voice came from outside my door, her footsteps leaving before I even had time to answer.

"Great." I mutter pulling myself to my feet and heading for the bathroom in an attempt to at least look presentable.

Picking out some black leggings and a black sports bra I trudge down the stairs and head towards the gym where I know everyone else is already waiting.