Chapter 8 - Boiling blood

I don't know how many times I'm gonna die and come back, but one thing is for sure...I'm back.

-------------------

It was about a week later after what had happened at your school. The police were now involved, and you were being questioned, along with Ohma. The students who attended the lecture that day were also questioned, even the instructor. After about a good hour or two of having the police standing around Mr. Yamashita's house, asking question after question, you felt your patience begin to run thin. Just how many questions did they have? Jeez.

"How am I supposed to know where they live? I didn't even see his face. I keep telling you that." Ohma wasn't taking this very well, and just like you, he began to grow frustrated. Several times, Mr. Yamashita had to tell him to calm down, and that he shouldn't use a hostile tone with the authorities. "This is your house, Kazuo Yamashita. Can't you just tell them to leave?"
"Ohma, not now," the man retorted as the police officer with the clip board continued to write information down. "Officer, I'm not trying to be rude, but is it really necessary for you to continue asking questions that we don't have the answer to? I mean, I understand you want to get to the bottom of this, but—"
"Mr. Yamashita, we really appreciate your patience and cooperation, but sometimes we have to really make sure that the people we're questioning aren't trying to cover things up."

What? Was he trying to say that they were suspicious of the three of you of covering up what happened? This ticked the black haired man off as he stepped forward. "Covering things up? Are you trying to say that we're lying?"
"Ohma," Kazuo budged in, "please calm down—"
"I don't appreciate what you're saying. I think you should leave."
"Ohma!"
The officers all glanced at eachother before looking back at Tokita with a poker face. This couldn't be good. Already not liking confrontation, you slowly began to feel nervous with the silence in the room, Mr. Yamashita also now on edge.

"I'm really sorry, Mr. Officer, I'm sure he didn't mean it! He just has short patience. He's been trying to be as cooperative as possible! Just—"
"We'll be going. Mr. Yamashita, Mr. Tokita, Ms. L/n, thank you for your cooperation. We'll be calling you once we have updates on the situation." Just like that, it was over. The six police officers left out of the house without another word, leaving Kazuo there with a slightly agape mouth.
"Was that...really all I had to say?"

"I thought they'd never leave," you said as you sat back down on the sofa with a sigh of relief. "They were really starting to get on my nerves."
"You and me both, Y/n," Mr. Yamashita said with a chuckle. "I'll make us some tea to calm our nerves. I'll be right back." The old man left the living room to go to the kitchen to brew some tea, leaving just you and Ohma together. The man walked over with his hands in his pockets, plopping down next to you, leaning his head back. It was clear that he had also began to grow frustrated with the police officers. Them being gone must've been a relief.
"It's funny how you got them to leave so quick," you spoke to break the silence after about half a minute. Ohma rolled his head to look at you, then moved back to direct his eyes to the ceiling. "How?"
"What do you mean, how? I mean, Mr. Yamashita is the owner of the house. Instead of listening to him, they listened to you, and you don't even pay bills." You punctuated your statement with a laugh, making the man with seaweed like hair roll his eyes with disinterest in your humor. "Not true. I contribute to this house even without paying bills." Sitting up, you crossed your arms, tilting your head to the side with a lifted eyebrow. "What're you looking at me like that for?"

"Mind telling me how you 'contribute' taking care of the house without paying bills? Last time I checked, clearing out the fridge doesn't help and adds an extra food bill."

"I don't appreciate the way you put it. You and Kazuo Yamashita buy too much and it doesn't get eaten. I'm just making sure it doesn't go to waste." So apparently eating half the groceries in one sitting after grocery shopping was considered keeping food from going to waste. Lovely. It was obvious you weren't going to win this little argument with Tokita, so you got up with a stretch, deciding it was time for a much needed, relaxing bath.
"I'm gonna go take a bath—Oh, yeah, by the way, the trash is really full, and I'm not taking it out. Pretty sure it has maggots." Earlier you saw some flies swarming around the trash. Usually you were the one to take out the trash, but this time, you decided to opt out. Besides, it was Ohma's fault for throwing away half eaten apples and watermelon slices. The sweet fruits attracted flies that came in through the slightly cracked windows and whenever someone would walk out the front door. It was seriously annoying.