4. The Judging Golden Eye

(POV: Juniper) - 13 years ago

"Not quite. Again!"

I transfer all of the strength in my body to my fist, closing it tightly and thrusting it at the old man's palm.

"Are you using the strength of your entire body?"

"Yes!" I groan. "I don't like this."

He sighs. "You need to learn how to fight."

"But punching is no fun!"

"Huh? Then what do you want to do?"

I fall into a criss-cross seated position and cross my arms. "I want to cut people up with swords."

"Swords? Seriously?"

"Fists are stupid," I murmur. "It is so much easier to hurt people with a sword."

"You would think so, wouldn't you?"

"Huh?"

"Anyway, I'm not much of a master swordsman myself, so I think that's something Akina can help you with," he says, scratching the back of his neck.

My eyes widen. "Mama!"

"She's busy bounty hunting right now. She'll be back by tonight."

"If she uses swords and you don't," I begin. "Then isn't she stronger than you?"

He bonks me lightly on top of my head. "That's not how that works!"

"So mean," I whine. "Mama is so much nicer than you."

He lets out a booming laugh. "Wait 'till she starts training you."

"Can I go upstairs to play with Tal, then?" I ask, summoning my best puppy eyes.

"Yes, yes."

"Hehe," I giggle, skipping up the stairs. "I'm going to be stronger than you one day, Papa! Because I will use swords and you can only use your fists!"

"One of those statements is true," he calls, knowing it will go through one ear and pass out the other.

"Tal~" I hum once I reach his bedroom. "Go outside with me today!"

He turns his head from the window, in which he has been staring out. "Okay! Where should we go?"

"To the fisherman's wharf!"

"How boring," a rough voice cuts from behind.

"Shut up, stupid brunette!" I snap. "I didn't invite you."

A conceited grin creeps into his mouth. "Don't tell me you already gave up on Father's training? I told him you looked too weak to be a bounty hunter."

I ball up my fists. "I'll beat you up right now!"

"Try it, cuckoo head!"

I propel myself at him with maximum speed, tackling him and raining down a series of punches on his face. He grunts, blocking them with his arm. In better form than I have ever achieved, Kal jabs me at my nose with incredible speed, causing blood to spew out. I cup a hand over the trail of blood and hurl it at his eyes.

"Ew!" He cries.

I try to tackle him again, but he dodges just in time, kicking me at my side. I curl like a shrimp as I crumble to the floor.

"See?" He taunts. "Weak."

I slowly help myself up. "This is nothing!"

This time, he charges at me and delivers a blow to my stomach. A suffocating pain shoots up my entire abdomen, but I endure it and latch onto his arm. He tries to struggle out of it. Then, wide as I can, I open my mouth and bite down on his flesh.