21. Milestone

(POV: Zoro)

Rob Lucci... I haven't seen this man since Water 7. What is he doing here? Surely, he knows this island is Shanks territory. Surely the government knows that. Did Lucci hope to quickly assassinate Jun and just leave?

He's gotten much stronger. He's even faster than he was before; his armament Haki proving difficult for even Jun to pierce. But he's underestimating her.

She has two extremely durable and powerful swords on her side, but she seems to still be trying to get used to them. And she has to adjust to such a dire situation. However, she's able to maintain the same disciplined and advanced techniques. She soars through the air, translucent mirages flickering like after-images of her movement. Her new coat flutters through the air like wings in water.

Haki on Haki, blade on claw.

The hotel room is already demolished. They continue their fight outside on the dark streets, tearing up cobblestones and dirt as they clash.

The sun sears at the dark clouds like match flame on paper, simmering away the darkness and ready to glare right into my line of sight.

The World government is after her. If she wins this match, nothing is stopping them from sending an admiral on our tails until she's behind bars. If she loses this match... well, Rob Lucci might just kill her on the spot.

Either way, she's in danger.

And either way, I'm not going to help her when she has to fight.

I lean back on the mattress, getting comfortable. "Hey, Jun."

She doesn't acknowledge me or turn her head, but I know she's listening. I continue.

"Until he's on the ground, unconscious, I'm not going to move a single inch from this seat. I don't care if you're on the brink of death, I won't move."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(POV: Juniper)

"You better not!" I shout back. "Otherwise, it would be insulting!"

Taking advantage of my short shift of attention, Lucci lunges at me with an attack. I dodge it easily. I've gotten used to his speed.

"Soru!"

He vanishes out of thin air. Before my body can react, he's already behind me, fist wound up to shatter my back. At the very last fraction of a second, I coat my back with Haki before he lands a blow.

I soar through the air from the impact. An excruciating pain ripples along my spine, but no bones feel broken.

"Soru!"

Suddenly, he reappears right in front of me with another fist wound up.

He's even faster now.

My Observation Haki sees it... I see it. He's pairing his monstrous speed with the Rokushiki CP0 fighting techniques, stacking it so that he's twice as fast. Now I have to account for the Six Styles.

I breathe and regulate my heartbeat. I get one foot on the ground. Then the other. I hum a soft cadence in my head, stepping to the rhythm.

There's a hint of confusion buried in his eyes. As his fist launches forward, he hits nothing but air and a mirage of me. Now I'm on his side. It's a point-blank attack.

I coat my swords with Haki.

"Echo step..."

"Tekkai 'Utsugi'..."

"1000 Cuts!"

Lucci stacks his Armament Haki on his Tekkai. This can be an impossible armor to pierce. I can sense his technique... what he intends to do. The Tekkai Utsugi method reflects damage to the attacker.

I still follow through with the attack. I see my own after-images catch the morning sunlight as it peeks over the horizon. I feel my blades meet his skin, and I spin around him. My attack bounces off, leaving two small cuts on my cheek.

His tail wraps around my waist, snaking around my arms.

"Driscolgrov Juniper... I'm disappointed," he begins.

I struggle, but it's no use. He's locked my arms in.

"A famed swordsman and bounty hunter, who can't land a solid attack on me," he continues. "You should have known with that Minerva's Eye of yours. You're no match for my Armament Haki."

He reels both his fists back, coating them with Haki. It's no longer Rob Lucci's devastating fists, but Akainu's magma rocket. I can see the glaring flame hovering over me, ready to crack me like an eggshell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(POV: Zoro)

My hand aches. I look down to discover that my fist had been clenched the whole time. I told her I wouldn't move. But now, she's trapped, and this looks to be Lucci's most powerful attack. She'll have to take it head-on.

Is Jun not ready to face the World government yet? All the days and nights we spent training together... has she still not overcome any of her fears?

Lucci seems to be taking his time as if seizing the seconds to gloat in her face before landing the final blow.

Then, she turns to me. Is she... smiling?

"Mind if I steal something of yours?"

Her arms are wielding both swords, but they're tied in with her waist by his tail. She manages to drop Dionysus in front of her foot. Placing it perfectly, she kicks the handle, applying the perfect torque for it to spin up and right between her teeth.

"Rokushiki Ogi..."

She coats the sword and her chest with Haki, clenching her jaw like her life depends on it.

"Rokugan!"

Lucci's arms explode forward. He aims it right at her chest, meeting the blade. Then, his attack veers at a slight angle, destroying the nearby trees and buildings.

The steam hisses from her body. She coughs up blood, relaxing her jaw and dropping the sword. She's barely conscious. Lucci lets go of her, and she plops to the ground like a beaten rag doll.

Lucci inspects his chest. Two small cuts start to bleed a thin trail of blood.

It's over. The fight is over.

I can't suppress the grin tugging at my mouth.

Lucci takes out a Transponder Snail, calling up someone on the other end. "Yes, I've defeated Driscolgrov Jun-"

The two cuts on his chest deepen into prominent gashes. I hear the sound of his flesh tearing. Blood trickles down his torso.

He blinks. "What-"

The gashes deepen even more. They've grown several inches longer. The wound opens up. Blood spurts out violently. He coughs up blood, kneeling and gasping in pain.

The cut draws itself on top of his shoulder and reaches his back. He twitches like a broken and leaking faucet.

So this is how I would have ended up if she cut me with those swords.

Finally, his face hits the ground, and his body goes limp. He stops moving.

I hear Jun's weak coughs. I spring up and rush to her side, cushioning the back of her head with my hand.

"Shit..." I mutter. "You were able to block some of it with the sword."

"My jaw wasn't strong enough to hold it firmly in place..."

"Don't talk," I say. "I'll get Chopper to you soon."