23. Dare

(POV: Juniper)

All of a sudden, I forget about the fatigue that was laying heavy in my limbs. I forget about my surroundings. All I can feel is the fluttering in my heart. I sprint to him at full speed, afraid he'll disappear at any second.

"Hey, Jun." Tal smiles. "It's been a while."

"Jun!" Chopper shouts from afar. "Take it easy!"

I slam into him, wrapping my arms around his torso. He remains sturdy and lets me sink into his embrace. He's gotten so much taller and bigger. Then, upon lifting my head from his chest and locking eyes, all the pain returns.

My heart drops to a dead weight, as if losing its wings in an instant. My eyes become moist; my nose stings. Before I can command myself to stop, tears trickle down uncontrollably down my cheeks.

"I'm sorry," I cry. "Papa and Kal... they're gone because I couldn't-"

"Stop it," he snaps. "You can cry all you want, but don't blame yourself."

He rests his chin on my forehead.

"I missed you, goddamnit," I mutter angrily, burying my head back in his chest.

"I missed you, too," he replies softly.

The awareness of reality settles back into me. I recollect my thoughts and drag myself off my delirious state. I finally let go of him and turn to the rest of the crew.

"Everyone... this is Tal, my younger brother."

"Nice to meet you all," he says.

Robin nods. "Your sister's been tagging along with us. We've gotten into a bit of trouble here and there; hope you don't mind."

Tal chuckles. "Trouble is unavoidable with her around."

"Speak for yourself," I retort.

I turn to Sabo, and he greets me with a polite smile. Such a human embodiment of a Golden Retriever.

"Thank you Sabo-san for taking care of my brother."

"No need to thank me," he says. "Dragon did most of that."

"Jun," Tal begins. "You beat Lucci. You've gotten even stronger than the last time I saw you. The others told me about your plans to join the Revolutionary Army. You can come with us. We'll take down the World Government together."

A smile tugs the corners of my mouth apart, but it quickly sinks. After a minute of thinking, my senses return to me. I look at the Pirate Hunter, who's eyeing Tal cautiously and curiously. I turn back to Tal.

"There are still a few things I have to do first. Maybe next time?"

A startled chorus of gasps surrounds us.

"Jun-chan, you said you wanted to leave our crew as soon as possible," Nami says. "Did you change your mind?"

"It's because she knew I couldn't get enough of her!" Sanji exclaims.

Usopp rolls his eyes. "You're being a little too optimistic..."

"Perhaps she doesn't care about the Revolutionary Army anymore," Robin suspects.

"That's too pessimistic!"

Tal appears a bit puzzled at first. But as soon as his eyes dart to Zoro, he looks back at me with a smirk playing on his lips. "Next time it is."

Sabo quirks up an eyebrow. "Tal, you practically dragged me over here because you heard your sister was on this island. You're not gonna try any harder to convince her?"