12. My Time to Leave a Farewell Letter

(POV: Juniper) - 3 years ago

I'm only partially aware of my tossing and turning, as I'm mostly unconscious. I'm drowsy for sure, but there's always a thought itching in the back of my head that keeps me just on the verge of being awake.

How hasn't the Navy found us yet?

Or rather, why haven't they found us yet? The old man hasn't mentioned a single thing about them since that day, but to think I could get away with attacking an admiral is delusional. It's been almost a year since we established our new headquarters in Fisherman island, hunting publicly as the Driscolgrov family.

I told the old man he was crazy for doing so because the Navy would be on our backs in no time. But he didn't even look mildly concerned.

Suddenly, I hear my bedroom door squeak open and light footsteps inching closer to me. I feel Tal's presence hovering over me. I don't bother to open my eyes.

"Hi, sis," he whispers.

I don't respond.

"Today is my birthday," he continues. "I'm turning sixteen. You remember right?"

He acts like he's talking to himself, expecting me to register the information subconsciously.

He sighs. "You're the only one in this family that understands me, and that's why I need to talk to you for a bit."

I feel my bed sink as he sits beside me.

"You're still thinking about Mama, aren't you? I do too. Every single night."

A pause.

"I guess I just came here to tell you that you're the best sister I ever had. And I love you. You've certainly made a name for yourself. You're really strong now. You don't need to rely on anyone else. But still, I'm sorry. I really am."

I hear a faint woosh. His presence is gone.

Sorry for what?

<>

"Sis. Sis."

Kal jolts me awake. I groan, opening one eye.

"What is it?"

Kal smiles. "We have a new member. I thought you might want to meet her."

My eyes widen. "Really? We haven't had anyone join in a while!"

I rush downstairs and see an unfamiliar girl talking to the old man. She immediately notices me.

"Bounty Hunter Driscolgrov Juniper!" She exclaims with wide eyes. "In the flesh!"

I blush. "Stop, you're flattering me."

She holds out a hand. "Nice to meet you! My name is Wolustram Erin. A gunslinger. I look forward to working for the best bounty hunters in the world!"

I take her hand firmly. "Working for? Come on. Starting today, you're my sister!"

She chuckles. "Stop, you're flattering me."

"Yenna," I call to the secretary standing perfectly still next to the old man. "Can you get Erin a room in the building next to us?"

Yenna nods politely. "Certainly, Ms. Driscolgrov."

As the two leave through the front door, a vague memory flashes in my mind. "Oh, isn't it Tal's birthday today? Where is he?"

The old man shrugs. "Probably at the brothel."