13. Uncovering the Rough Wall

(POV: Zoro)

I blink myself awake as the clamor on the deck grows to an extremely annoying intensity.

"What are you saying?" Nami asks. "What was in that letter?"

"I found out why the World Government is after me," Jun answers quickly.

"She did say she would leave as soon as she finds out why," Robin comments.

"Eh?!" Usopp exclaims. "How'd you find out so fast?"

"Don't go yet, Jun-chan," Nami pleads. "Can you tell me what's going on?"

She smiles, her eyes remaining sullen. "You guys are all amazing and genuine people. My goal is different from yours. I must bring down the Celestial Dragons and the heads of the Navy. For my family."

"And how do you plan on doing that all by yourself?" Jinbei asks.

"I don't. I'm going to the Revolutionary Army. My brother is there."

Usopp raises an eyebrow. "Oi, didn't you say you lost your whole family?"

A determined voice cuts in. "No."

We all turn to Luffy. His eyes fix on Jun. His hand rests on his hat while the draft blows gently with the soft ocean waves.

That's the look in his eyes she was talking about last night. I've seen it all the time.

Jun stares at him in awe. "Huh?"

"No," he repeats.

Nami smacks him. "She heard you the first time! She just doesn't know what you mean by that!"

"Ah, really?" He asks. "Then, Jun... I don't want you to leave. You're staying here."

"Huh?!" She strides to him, raising her voice. "Didn't you just hear what I said? Your goals don't align with mine. It doesn't make sense for me to stay here anymore."

He laughs with a loud "shishishi" before grinning stupidly. "I know. But I want you to stay here."

"You heard the captain," I finally say.

Every head turns to me.

I stand up and walk to her and Luffy. "I'm not sure how you bounty hunters do things, but here, you can't just walk in and make yourself at home for a few days, then walk out when it's convenient. If you decide to do that, you're no better than the lowly pirates you used to hunt."

She holds my gaze like she's done all the times before, looking up farther as I walk closer.

"And don't bring up the 'different goals' bullshit. Everyone here has a different goal. We all act and think independently here. We're a pirate group. Not a sports team."

Her eyes widen ever so slightly, hesitation flickering in her stare.

"Luffy wants to become the King of the Pirates. My goal isn't to make him one," I continue. "My goal is to become the world's greatest swordsman. You don't base your actions off of other people's will."

I pause, letting my words hang in the air to dry.

"And, you still owe me that damn fight."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(POV: Juniper) - Present

'Don't base your actions on other people's will'? Is it bad to do something for your family? Is it bad to be selfless?

Zoro turns away. "Even pirates have a moral code. Don't forget that."

The rest of the crew eyes me uneasily, waiting for a decision. Zoro is already climbing up to the crow's nest. He's said what he had to say.