7. A Clear and Druken Mind is the Best Mind

(POV: Zoro)

It's already evening, huh?

I always seem to lose track of time when I'm training, but this time around it flew by extremely fast. I set down both dumbbells and grab a clean towel.

Someone enters.

"Have you been up here this entire day?" Juniper asks. "All these weights are yours?"

"Yeah."

"Geh. They look heavy."

I sigh. "Is there a reason why you're here? Are you not resting anymore?"

"I've already napped for 5 hours straight," she remarks. "I... wanted to use the weights."

"Hm? For training?"

"Yes..." She pauses, losing herself temporarily in a train of thought. "I rely a lot on my Observation Haki, but don't do strength training that often."

"Speaking of which, why did you offer to use your Observation Haki at breakfast today? You already used up your energy trying to keep it on all night, right?" I scoff. "Tryna show off or something?"

"I had some extra energy left. Why does it matter to you?"

I approach her quickly. "It matters because exhausting your capabilities is a foolish decision that will cost the safety of the crew. Others can keep a watch out since they've actually slept last night."

"Man, what's your problem? Are you getting on my case now because I'm trying to help you guys?" She retorts. "You want the truth? I'll give it to you."

Infuriated, she takes a deep breath before continuing.

"Last night, it was difficult for me to maintain my Observation Haki. But it wasn't because I was straining myself. I just... fell asleep at some point and... I don't know. I felt bad, so I wanted to use it for the morning when there was fog," she explains.

"Huh?! You fell asleep? Didn't you say that you could maintain it the whole night?"

"Yeah, but this time it was different."

"For heaven's sake, what's with you and all your half-assed explanations?" I mumble.

"Look, all you have to know is that it won't happen again, okay?"

There are too many things I want to ask, yet there is nothing I can form into words. My frustrations don't make it through my mouth.

Sanji's distance voice rings from below. "Dinnertime!"

"Tch." I throw the towel down and slip on my coat. "You now owe me a fight and an explanation, bounty hunter. Make sure you pay me back in full."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(POV: Juniper) - Present

Tears collect on the brim of my eyes. "This is so good! Sea King meat is delicious!"

"I'm so glad to hear that, Jun-chwan!" He cries. "I'll be sure to hunt down the best bear to serve you once we get on an island!"

Luffy chuckles. "You better give some of it to me, too!"

Zoro grins. "Are you sure you can even take down a bear, Nosebleed-kun?"

"We'll ditch you the moment you get lost on that island, Marimo," Sanji spits.

"That's very kind of you, Sanji-san," I interrupt, already adapting to their argumentative tendencies.