17. City of Wine

(POV: Zoro)

What the hell is Sanji doing up this early?

He glares at me as I climb down the crow's nest. The sun has barely risen, and he's already up on his way to the kitchen.

"You shitty swordsman," he grumbles as if he's been betrayed. "What were you doing up there? What were you doing to Jun-chan?!"

"I wasn't doing anything."

He frowns. "I've been noticing you getting up in the middle of the night after everyone fell asleep. You've been going up there every night, haven't you?"

"Huh? Are you stalking me or something?"

"You know you're not as sneaky as you think! It's not like I want to hear your heavy footsteps creaking on the floor in the middle of my sleep!"

"What does it even matter to you?" I snap. "I'm just trying to make sure she does her job."

"How could you not trust her after all this time?! She caught several enemy ships coming way ahead of time for us to attack or escape this past week!"

"That's exactly why I need to make sure she-"

"Enough."

We snap our heads in the direction of Jun's voice. She exits the crow's nest.

"Sanji-san, I appreciate your concern," she begins. "But Zoro is making sure I do my job. I create a field of Observation Haki every night, and he's there to ensure that I keep it up."

"That sounds exhausting," he says. "Are you sure you're okay with this?"

She shrugs. "It's the safest way to keep watch."

Sanji eyes me suspiciously but says nothing more.

"Anyway, were you guys so caught up in your argument that you couldn't even see the island ahead?" She asks.

It's true that in the distance, there's a pretty big island that seems to be a place of modern civilization.

"I did see it," I say. "But this shitty cook had to drag me into an argument so I didn't have the time to point it out."

"I prompted the argument because you were suspiciously climbing out of the crow's nest. What was I supposed to think?!"

"I wasn't doing anything suspicious."

"Sanji-san," Jun interrupts in her sweet voice. "Could you please make me breakfast? I'm feeling a bit hungry."

He immediately drops his agitated act. "Of course, Jun-chan! Anything for you!"

Nami walks out to the deck, rubbing her eyes. "What's all the yelling about?"

"Good morning, Nami-chan," Jun greets. "Sanji-san and Zoro were just arguing again. Did they wake you?"

She yawns. "Yeah, they sorta did."

"This is good anyway," I add. "We're approaching an island."

"Oh, really?" Nami asks. "Then, we should get ready to dock."

The rest of the crew wakes up within half an hour. Usopp pulls out a pair of binoculars.

"Petriapolis?" He reads. "That's what they have on that giant sign."

"Must be the name of the city," Nami says.

"Oh! They have cool-looking buildings. The whole place looks gorgeous," Usopp exclaims.

Nami snatches the binoculars from his hands. "Oh, you're right!"

Jun closes her eyes. "They have very unique architecture. They have the most beautiful cities I've ever seen."