19. Curing Hiccups

(POV: Zoro)

I look around. "Tch. Where did that drunk go?"

More importantly, where am I? I must be in the forest right next to the grape plantation. But it's dark, and the forest is dense. Only occasionally does moonlight squeeze through the thick leaves.

Trying to get out might only lead me deeper in.

I activate my Observation Haki, covering more and more ground until I can feel a direct path. It's the path I took to get here. I sense the leaves, the gravel, the small rodents hiding in dry brush, and - something else.

I can barely sense the aura of a person coming right at me.

I quickly draw two of my swords and brace myself.

As soon as the silhouette approaches from the leaves, I step forward, ready to attack.

Jun's face pops up, glowing in the ray of blue moonlight. "Whoa, whoa, whoa - hic - whoa."

I relax and sheathe my swords. "Oh. It's just you."

"Did you not recognize me?" She asks.

"I sensed an approaching figure and got ready to defend myself," I say.

She nods slowly. "So your Observation Haki can't detect who I am."

"No. You can hide your aura very well. I barely detected you as it is."

"Oh! Yeah."

"Hm?"

"I forgot to tell you - hic - about that," she begins. "You can use your Observation Haki to protect yourself from other people's Observation Haki."

"Huh? Really?"

"Yes. By expanding your own little field of Haki, you can prevent their Observation Haki from detecting you, I think. It's like you've created a bubble so other people creating a bubble can't include you in their bubble."

She frowns, rubbing her neck.

"It sounded a lot - hic - clearer in my head."

"Aren't you gonna do anything about those hiccups of yours?" I grumble.

"I've sobered up, but the hiccups tend to stay for a while. By the way..."

She looks past me and points.

I turn around and see a hole in the distance - about ten meters deep - stationed right in the middle of an open area devoid of trees. Light can pass through and illuminate the room inside.

"That's a pretty nice place you found there," she continues.

I blink. "I guess it is..."

We jog closer to discover a well with clear spring water stored deep down below.

A grin creeps up on Jun's face. First, she takes off her shirt, leaving nothing but a laced bra to cover her top. Then, she kicks off her boots and undoes the bandages wrapped around her legs. Finally, she sets her things down.

It's a sight I've seen before, but this time it's different. Her lean and chiseled figure stands right below the moon, cloaked in a ghostly light.

Even like this - especially like this - she looks like a huntress drawing raw power from the night. Her voluminous hair spikes up like the smooth mane of a lion.

In one graceful dash, she leaps off the edge and dives into the water.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------