11. In Their Eyes

(POV: Juniper) - 4 years ago

I squint at the harsh sunlight cooking me from above. For a good minute, nothing makes sense. My head pounds like it's being repeatedly squeezed at a rapid pace. A broad silhouette moves before me.

"Sis!" Kal calls. "Are you alright?"

I squeeze my eyes shut. "No."

Then, I recall what happened. It was all a blur. Flashing magma, shards of metal, crumbling pavement, pitch-black sky. It must have been a dream. It had to have been a dream.

But as I open my eyes again and take in the gloomy faces hanging low, deprived of energy from the blistering heat, my chest tightens. I can't even manage to cry. I can feel my cracked lips and hollow eyes screaming for water.

Tal doesn't even bother looking at me. He has his eyes glued to the sloshing water.

Water.

Sea water.

We're in the middle of an ocean.

At a closer look, we're on a small wooden sailboat. It's quite sleek and modern, but that's all it is. A boat.

"Water..." I manage.

"Hang in there," the old man says. "We'll get water once we reach an island."

I try to strike him with my hardest punch but it lands softly and barely prompts a grunt from him. My body suddenly crackles from intense pain and fatigue.

"You let her die," I mutter. "You let her die even though you could have fought back. You're a coward."

"Give him a break," Kal interjects. "He was trying to save us."

"He could have saved all of us if he defeated Akainu."

"He can't! Akainu's a general!"

"I would have rather died fighting for Mama than run away," I spit. "You're a sorry excuse for a dad, old man."

"Jun is right," Tal finally says. "Mama was right. The Celestial Dragons have all the power in the world, and they'll abuse it to their very last breath. Living idly by and accepting their rule is a coward's way of living."

But no matter what we throw his way, he remains silent and continues steering.

"Aren't you gonna say anything old man? Huh?" I try to shout, but it's dialed down to pathetic croaks and raspy breaths. "I was right from the beginning. You're nothing but an old man."

"Enough," Kal says.

"Mama is dead because of you. It's all your fault!"

"Enough."

"It should have been you instead of her!"

"Enough!"

Kal tackles me, but I struggle back. We push and pull at each other until we both fall over the boat and plunge into the water. Even then, I'm still grabbing his shirt and punching him. It's all futile.

The old man grabs us and pulls us out of the water, throwing us on the deck without a single word. I roll over and lay on my stomach, knowing I won't prompt a response from him no matter what I say.

From the corner of my eye, I notice two of my broken swords by his side.

(POV: Juniper) - Present

I hear the rope stretching under the entrance hole. Soon enough, I see the familiar mosshead pop up.

I smirk. "Going up here again because you can't get enough of me?"