20. First Test

(POV: Juniper)

The receptionist smiles. "A room for two for one night?"

"Yeah," I mutter.

"One bed or two beds?"

"Two," we quickly reply in unison.

"Eh... okay. That'll be 700 beli. Room 230."

I throw her the cash and take the key. "Thanks."

As we walk down the hallway, I constantly check over my shoulder to make sure Zoro's trailing close by.

"What are you doing?" He asks.

"We walked around for two hours before we could find a hotel. The sun rises in a few hours."

"We didn't walk around for two hours."

"You're right. It was two and a half."

Before he can protest, I locate the room and unlock the door. As I switch on the lights, the modern furnishing glows before me. The two white beds are separated by a slick wooden nightstand. Although most of the room is made of wood, it looks nothing short of hospitable for royalty.

"This whole island is so nice. Maybe I should live here," I say.

"Too bad they don't have sake."

"That's all you think about, huh?"

I set my things down on the bed near the big window.

"Are you showering first or am I?" He asks.

"Why not together?"

He clenches his jaw in apparent embarrassment. I've never seen his face transition to a deeper shade of pink this fast before.

I raise an eyebrow. "I'm joking."

"Better be," he mumbles.

"You can shower first," I say.

"...okay."

Once he closes the bathroom door behind him, I collapse to the floor and take some deep breaths. It's been nearly impossible to keep my composure around him. Just the thought of his arms around me has sent me to the brink of insanity.

Even so, at some point when we were touching, I had to reactivate my Observation Haki and tether myself to his aura... again. I thought I overcame this. I thought I could maintain skin-to-skin contact without almost flinching.

No, I'm getting better. Zoro said it himself. I was able to hold my ground at the bar.

I hear the shower turn on.

Why am I letting myself get so attached to a pirate? I don't intend to tag along with this Straw Hat group for long, yet every second more I spend with him makes it harder and harder to back away when it's time. Should I have not led him on?

Frustrated, I tear myself away from my thoughts and focus on getting cleaned up. I take off all my dirty clothes and throw them in the corner. My stomach is craving a late-night snack.

I find a small Transponder Snail on the nightstand and dial-up room service.

"Room service," the woman on the other end of the end says. "What can I do for you?"

"Do you have any snacks available?"

"Yes, we do! We have salad, pizza, garlic bread, curly fries, or avocado egg rolls."

"Mmm. Can I have the avocado egg rolls?"

"Yes, of course. What is your room number?"

"230."