Four

"I don't think it matters if I know it," you say silently. "It won't change a thing in my life."

"It might change how you view yourself," he answers. You close your eyes and scowl.

"I don't think Lunarian past would shape me," you growl and hear as the man moves a little on his bed. "I'm only a Halfblood, aren't I?"

"You are," says King, taking a deep breath. "Your blood isn't pure, but you carry the curse of my kind. That's why I asked you. Still, I don't care if you don't want to hear it."

You measure your chances for a few minutes before talking again. You don't have any hope left about him and leaving this place.

After everything that happened, all you feel is exhaustion.

As you turn around, he looks away, and you blush when you understand he is watching you.

"Tell me," you whisper.

King hides his figure with his large wing, blending into the darkness of the room. You sit up as quietly as you can and lour as you see his toned muscles relaxing.

So many scars.

The man stays silent for a few minutes like he's looking for the right words.

"Lunarians have a longer life span than most of the species in the world," he says, his voice suddenly hoarse and soft. "Our Elders used to live up to a few hundred years."

He waits for some time again, and you subconsciously lean your back against the wall, your hand finding the carving of the flower again.

"They lived a long and respectful life, taking care of our culture. They wrote down the knowledge of our race and passed down the pieces that were too dangerous to store on parchment."

You close your eyes and listen to the deep, steady tone.

Despite how King treats you and how he despises you clearly, he has the most beautiful voice you have ever heard.

Why is this the word that always comes to my mind about him?

And you shiver as King continues.

"Our tales went back deep into the past, to the past nobody else remembered by that time. Even to the Void Century, which was erased from human history."

You freeze in your whole body, watching the fire that burns steadily on his back, being the only source of light in the dark room.

The flames dance softly, drawing figures to mesmerize your eyes.

"We were murdered for the power humanity wanted to steal," says the Lunarian, without a single emotion or quaver filtering through his words. "And for the history that we wanted to protect."

You cast down your eyes, and the enormous black wings move, revealing his silhouette in the weak light.

Your fist clenches, and you let go of the flower's carving when he stands up and walks closer to you.

As he crouches down so close, you hold back your breath but look up at him.

"They slaughtered men, women, and children, despite only our Elders being allowed to know the True History. They didn't care. Humanity destroys what they envy. They act out of fear and arrogance."

"You could talk about arrogance," you answer and tense up when King's crimson eyes sharpen as he hears it.

"What did you say?"

You feel a heavy, cold mass running through your arteries from your heart.

After so many years in silence, you decide to speak out your thoughts, no matter how much pain they may bring.