Five

You stay silent, and his words fall above your mind like heavy stones you cannot understand, blocking your way to talk.

Me defeating him?

You watch his fire calming down little by little as he falls asleep.

It takes some time before you get out of the trance and tie the fabric around the wound.

And as the pain eases, you freeze down completely from surprise. Never in your life before had anyone given you treatment for injuries.

Why him? Why the man who feels disgusted just by looking into my eyes?

And without no real reason, you start smiling and press your lips to the fabric. The bitter taste reaches your mouth, but it doesn't bother you. Your tears make it salty.

Someone gave you something to heal.

And he smiled. Why was he smiling?

Having seen that, you don't regret asking him to show his face. Whatever price you will have to pay for it, now you feel only gratitude.

The first time, you only felt threat and cruelty radiating from his words, his movements.

But the more he lets his past filter through that wall of pain, the more you feel his sorrow and anger, even more than all you have in yourself.

He had things he lost until they turned him into the broken, unstable shape he is now.

You never really had anything to lose. Maybe that makes more difference than whatever you imagined before.

You shiver from the cool room and huddle yourself up to keep the warmth of your body.

Without any real reason or hope, you repeat the movements of the dance from earlier, trying to create fire.

From his words, you understand how much this power means.

And as you try over and over again, your eyes keep wandering to King's calm flames.

The exhaustion and cold slowly take over you, and you stand up, walking closer to him as quietly as possible.

You are not afraid now since you still don't have anything to lose.

You only stop half a meter far from his back. The Lunarian is breathing steadily, and you shake your head after you see yourself reflecting in the fire for a moment.

As you feel the radiating heat of the flames, you collect all your bravery and sit on his bed, then lay down next to the fire.

You frown as you feel the feathers of his right wing under you, but he doesn't wake up.

You turn to your side the same way he sleeps, but you can't hide your figure like him since your wings can't move.

As he covers himself so softly, he seems to be hiding from the world. In this state, even the most terrifying men can look vulnerable.

Your cold body slowly warms up, but you can't fall asleep. Your thoughts have stopped, and somehow all your worries disappeared.

The happenings of this day play in your mind like the pages of an ancient book, ready to rust away in the wind.

You don't understand.

After Kaido captured you, you thought your life was over. But this man might know something about who you are, who you should be.

This place is filled with knowledge and culture of this almost extinct, proud, and special tribe.

You hate him but feel empathy for his suffering, which might not be that different from yours.