Eleven

Several years ago

Red Line

"Lumen, watch this!" laughs the young boy happily, running inside the little house.

The girl looks up from her book, and an honest smile spreads on her lips.

Alber suddenly stops as he sees it, and his cheeks turn bright red.

It has always been only the two of them, but he's sure she is the most beautiful Lunarian ever to be born.

"What is it?" she asks.

The boy shakes his head, but the stubborn blush doesn't fade. He pouts and lifts his hand, his fire lighting up.

It forms the shape of a dragon and flies around the room. She doesn't get scared but jumps up excitedly.

"There are so much more in these flames than it seems," whispers Alber, running closer to her, falling on his knees. He takes her hand and leans closer until he can see the red ring in the crimson of her eyes. "I'll get even stronger and stronger, so nobody will hurt us. I promise."

Lumen scowls a little, then laughs with that clear, bright sound that sends all dark clouds away. For him, she's the only true ray of sunshine.

"I'm pretty strong too, you know," smiles the girl, kissing his cheek playfully. He turns even redder and recoils, looking away. "You don't need to worry."

She tightens her hold around his hand.

"Nobody will hurt us," she whispers, hugging the boy. "I'll always be with you."

Alber pouts and nods silently. He believes in her with his whole heart but sees the world differently.

He can't forget the thousands of skeletons outside.

"What are you reading about?" he asks, peeking over her shoulder. Lumen chuckles and leans back, picking the book up.

It looks ancient old, the pages are ragged and the cover dirty.

"The Sun and the Moon," she smiles. "I found it in the Great Hall."

"You know you shouldn't go there alone!" shouts Alber, his little fist clenching. "That place is dangerous. What if something-"

"I'm an independent young woman, you got that?!" shouts back Lumen, hitting the boy on the head, who whines a little as an answer. Her features soften as he looks at her sadly. "You need to stop worrying about me. And it was worth it."

"Sure," mocks her Alber. "I'm an iNdEpEnDeNt YoUnG- AUCH!"

"Stop it!" scoffs the girl. He grimaces but still holds her hand. "I've finally found something about the songs we hear."

"Songs?"

"You can be so dumb sometimes," she laughs, sitting closer to him. "The songs of our wings. I knew it must be something special since we can't hear our own."

"And what did you find?"

She smiles at him gently and opens the old book.

"It's a form of connection," says the girl, stroking the pages. "But different from the Fire Bond."

"I see," he whispers. Lumen giggles at his face and kisses his cheek again.

"Lunarians always tried to protect theirs," she smiles. "History, future, loved ones. Even our spells are about protection. And our wings always reflect what we feel, even if we don't understand. They take a unique shape, and when we fly, they sing. Only the one who can help you will hear it."