Fifteen

King smiles, even if you don't see his face. He leans down and presses his lips over your temple, leaving behind a tender kiss.

You blush from his touch, and the man lays his head over your shoulder, your hair blending with his to weave a river of white.

His breath slows down, and he closes his eyes. You stay silent for a long time not to disturb him.

For the first time, you honestly feel that you can give him comfort, even if he will never say it.

He talked to Kaido and didn't punish me for leaving.

I wonder if that's what keeps me here. Him.

You listen to the fizzle of his fire and look up at the thousands of books winding up toward the sky.

King hums softly as you move, and his embrace grows tighter around your body.

He wandered far from reality to a place in his mind where you can't follow him.

You smile as you feel him so close. The care you start to understand warms you up from the inside while the heat of his body does from the outside.

"Remember when I climbed up the shelves?" you ask him.

"Mm."

You scowl at his humble reaction and move your hand upon his, stroking the dark skin, rough from the years spent fighting.

"I don't know what happened," you whisper. "But I started going without giving it a thought. The same feeling drove me toward you yesterday. Do you know what it is?"

King sighs deeply and straightens his back.

"You don't have control over your mind, just as you don't rule your wings," he answers. "It's not good. You're unstable."

He stays quiet for a second before he continues.

"I told you before that Lunarians live for a long time. A few hundred years sometimes. But whatever record I found of Halfbloods, they died before reaching thirty. I'm afraid- I think that you might be losing things that give us strength. Control and warmth, the two you need to keep your mind sane and your body living."

You tense up.

"So you think I will die soon?"

He pinches your chin, turning your head to kiss you briefly. His red eyes rest on yours.

"We have an agreement, Rain. You gave your life into my hands by choosing to see my face," he says. From this distance, you feel the rhythm of his vocal cords in your chest. "You are not allowed to die, not until I decide so. Understood?"

You nod slowly, and the man's smile disappears. He embraces you again and starts rocking back and forth restfully.

"When I climbed through the shelves, I saw a dark book that kept my gaze for minutes," you tell him. King moves away to see your face. "Maybe it had a reason. Whatever made me reach for the sky that day, got stronger after I saw it. I remember how it drew my attention then I fell into a swirl. Took a long time to keep going after."

Alber stands up, and you follow him with your eyes.

He looks up towards the light, and your heart misses a beat from how amazing he looks.

He turns back to you, and you see an odd gleaming in the crimson iris, but you talk before would.

Eyes.

The thought is sudden.

"Why did you stop before you left for the mission?"

His features soften, and you shiver as you realize you can't read any emotions from them. He doesn't answer.