Sixteen

King strokes the book carefully, then closes it. He pulls you in his arms and climbs to the upper half of the bed.

He places a soft kiss over your forehead, and you nestle close to his side.

His enormous wing lays over your body like a blanket, its darkness mimicking the blackness of the night.

"You can sleep if you want," he says. "I'll try to read some of this."

"Shouldn't you check on Yamato?" you ask.

"I help her if she comes, but that's her decision," answers the Lunarian. "Yamato can take care of herself. She's a good kid."

"Kaido is dangerous," you scowl. "You know that."

"That is why I'm still alive," he looks at you strictly. You nod silently and touch his wing, pulling it over yourself even more. He smiles at the sight and strokes your face gently.

"Kaido-san is the strongest, and you have to respect that. He also helped me to bring these memories here from the Red Line."

"He does it because he needs your power."

"He would do just fine by himself in terms of strength," shrugs King. "But in the end, we all want someone around us. Someone to trust. "

You close your eyes and lay your cheek above his forearm, feeling his deep scars against your skin.

He doesn't talk again, and you don't want to keep arguing as you don't see a point in that.

You start to trust him too. Even if he locks you in his place and to himself, you found happiness. You feel safe and cared for, for the first time in your life.

Maybe there would be more in the outside world, but right now, this is just enough for you.

You want to enjoy it and live through every second, to remember.

King breathes calmly by your side as he reads. His fire is brighter than usual as he uses its light to see the old, deep red runes.

With your eyes closed, you see orange color dancing on the back of your eyelids as his flames change shape.

You wish you had them.

Maybe this is the punishment that comes for being a Halfblood, that you will never have a chance to understand this kind of gift, nor the value of the magic it brings.

But you still have your wings, thanks to him.

The myth of the Lunarians' birth often comes to your mind. As they rose from the ocean to reflect the sky, the Sun gave them warmth and life, and the Moon formed them to become more than mere shadows of distant worlds.

Then there's the rosace and the dance. These two celestial bodies are the pillars of Lunarian heritage and all their beliefs.

They found their symbolism in everything they found important.

And you are just grateful that at least the Moon gave you its blessing, despite your human half.

As you spent these few weeks with King, the culture of his kind ended up being such important as it is to him.

But by now, you want to learn about humanity too. With all its flaws, it must have its value too.

Maybe having both types of blood is a blessing to let you know more. King warned you in time not to let hatred affect your mind as it did his.

He will never find complete forgiveness or peace because of the crimes of humanity.

Her death was enough for him to become cruel, a man who murders and tortures others.