Twenty-three

A few weeks later

You stand up and wipe away the sweat from your forehead, but you smile as you look at the sealed gates of the old tower.

"Thank you," says Lumen with a quivering voice.

You bow opposite the place shortly to provide an ending to this duty.

Since you arrived at the Red Line, she never disappeared.

The ghost of the Lunarian girl accompanied you as you discovered their ancient home.

She made sure you were never lonely and talked a lot about her life here and the love that you share, and the heritage of their kind.

You were amazed by her natural kindness.

Maybe it was the bond that connected the two of you through Alber, but she appeared to care about you deeply.

And even in death, her beauty shined through the land like nothing else ever did.

You could understand why Alber treasured her so much. Lumen was truly the Sun for his Moon.

Yet he fell in love with you too.

He heard the song of your wings and held you just as special as her.

Lumen was the one written to him, but you were the one he chose.

He let you feel emotions you have never faced before.

Gifted his care to you for your life, even if it took part of him away, leaving a hollow that changed him forever.

"Alber will be so happy," cries Lumen silently. "He always hated the sight of the corpses. But he was... too scared to move them."

You look at her perplexedly, and she wipes her face clear.

"He was afraid to find someone from his family," she explains. "We never knew anyone else, but he believed that he would recognize them, even if only the bones remained."

"I'm sorry," you answer with a clenched heart, but she shakes her head and smiles at you. It eases the pain that suffocated your throat.

"I had Alber with me my whole life," she says. "And what I had is more important than the things I never got."

You take a deep breath and lock the gates, closing the area completely.

Since you ended up here, you spent each day carrying the Lunarian corpses to this tower that stood against the fangs of time.

Lumen told you about their traditions for funerals.

You burned the remains at night, as they always did throughout history.

She taught you how to dance in the air to create a wind that carries the smoke and dust up towards the stars, as it was penned to be.

They believed that if Lunarian wings guide their last way up to the sky so they fall into the ocean after, their soul can be at rest, closing the circle since they were born from the mirror of the sea.

It was a special and foregone ritual, and it warmed your heart. It made you feel like you belonged somewhere, despite being a Halfblood.

A Lunarian asked for your help to do this, and it meant more than anything.

You felt grateful as you flew, and wondered how beautiful the rite must have looked when hundreds of wings danced together for the dead ones.

But there is one thing you couldn't understand, and didn't dare to ask until now.

"Lumen, why is your wing still broken?" you turn to her, and the girl tilts her head as she hears the question. She reels a lock of white hair around her finger, as it is her habit. "You should be able to fly if you are... away."