Chapter 18- Carnet

I sat boneless on his lap, my heart fluttering like a hummingbird's wings as he murmured his gratitude against the skin of my neck, his slightly chapped lips catching on the sensitive skin and I shivered.

My head was still spinning from what had just happened, one moment I had been eating and trying to fight down the lingering blush on my cheeks, next thing I know I'd been transported into something akin to the Matrix. A world once filled with colour dulled to monochrome shades of grey, everything slowed down around me, almost frozen.

My wolf was present and pushing against my conscious, my instincts and senses in overdrive. Something was wrong, danger tinged the air with metallic iron, turning the air thick and I struggled to breathe. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and deafening ringing filled my ears, white noise blurring out any and all sounds from around me.

My heart thundered in my chest like a stampedes hooves and my body urged me to act, rushing with adrenaline, my flight or fight response going haywire.

Dread sank deep into my bones, trepidation and fear turning my stomach, the sour stench of impending death almost making me gag.

My nose sought out the source, gasping at the dangerous beauty of Satish's glass of water. The liquid seemed to glitter, red particles dancing and swirling around, the colour so startling compared to the monochrome around me.

I watched as Satish picked up the glass in slow motion, the base of the glass clinking distortedly, but somehow getting louder rather than quieter with each dizzying echo.

Every fibre in my being screamed something was wrong, a terrible sense of foreboding raged through my connection with my wolf, red fur flashed behind my eyes as I blinked, staring at that slowly rising glass.

The glittering red particles were hypnotising... red... the only colour I could see was red. I blinked and saw a flash of my wolf's red fur once again... red... red wolf.

Was this what it meant to be a red wolf?

The stench of death coming from that glass, the red particles in what should be clear water.

Was I able to sense danger?

I didn't know, but I did know that something was wrong with that glass of water... I couldn't let Satish drink it.

I reached out at normal speed for the slowly raising glass of water in Satish's hand, what should be cool glass burned my skin and I almost recoiled from the red hot pain.

My head swam but suddenly the world went back to normal, one blink and everything was as it was before. The surrounding sounds rushed back to me, the brightness and dazzling colour like turning the light on in a once dark room.

My brain lagged as everything went back to normal speed and for a moment my eyes struggled to follow or focus on anything, but my eyes adjusted and I stared down at the glass in our touching hands, I could feel the condensation against my fingers, it cold as it should be.

My body sagged with relief when he took the glass that I offered him in my free hand and I snatched his as soon as he set it down, tempted to throw it as far as I could, watch the glass shatter and the glass spill onto the marble floor but I refrained. The glass intact would tell us more than if it was in pieces all over the floor.