Chapter 2- Carnet

It was a long drive, we arrived early afternoon. It was beautiful but cold, we had been climbing for hours, and we were well above sea level now. The air was thin and crisp, clean, I loved it. There were trees everywhere, giant ones, ancient and strong, the towering mountains in the distance, the caps covered in pale snow. It was late autumn so soon that snow would travel down, turning the world white.

My mum messed around with my hair a little, we were literally next to the car, just having gotten out of it. I was stretching my sleepy and leaden legs but she obviously had other plans, checking me all over to make sure not a hair was out of place. She was a thin woman, willowy and tall, but had the natural muscle definition that all werewolves had. My father was even taller, bulky and towering, with thick limbs and a barrel chest, very masculine. My mum was happy I'd inherited more of her traits than his, I wouldn't be desirable to the Alpha if I looked like a hairy mountain, which my dad was.

He was stern and quiet, an intimidating presence, the opposite of my mother, who was light and loud. She laughed a lot and could be a lot of fun but she didn't move an inch when it came to me, anything that could affect my desirability was a strong no. I had been home-schooled, sworn to chastity so I'd be pure for the Alpha, only his to use and defile if he should pick me. I'd never been kissed, except for my mother's forehead and cheek smooches.

It may seem strange for a male to be coming to a Luna Choosing but an Alpha could be both male and female, plus they could like whatever gender they wanted, male, female or both, werewolves had never cared about such things. An Alpha's seed was potent enough to impregnate anyone, no matter which gender. I'd heard from my mother that the Alpha preferred men though, not sure where she got that information from, so I didn't ask.

Dad took out our luggage and locked the car, easily carrying the three bags with his dominant wolf strength. My mother wrapped her small but strong fingers around my forearm and led me closer to the imposing ancient castle surrounded by tall evergreens and other mighty trees. It was built from chalk white stone, which had turned a light grey from time and the elements, tall towers climbed towards the sky, and elegant gilded windows provided a glimpse into the impressive building and let in the early afternoon light.

Many other cars were parked in front of the castle, werewolves getting out of their cars and gazing at the house of the mighty Stentorian Alpha.

When we had finally reached the red double doors that stood two stories high, greeted by smartly dressed omega wolves, they must be from the Stentorian Pack. Omega wolves were like the working class wolves in a pack, they weren't strong enough to fight and hunt, so they contributed in other ways, like looking after the young, they cooked, cleaned and provided medical care. "Hello." one of them came to stand at the foot of the stone stairs and bowed, back perfectly straight. "Welcome to the Stentorian Pack, may I have your name sir?" he asked my father, a burly werewolf dressed in a bellboy black and white uniform silently taking our bags.

"Jacobi Larkin." my father's low and deep voice answered. The omega nodded with a smile, turning to look me over, a bit too intensely to be comfortable.

"Then you must be Carnet Larkin." he deduced, his eyes continuing to rake over my form, his stare made me feel naked from the intensity of his eyes. He grunted and stopped staring, his blank face not giving anything away. "If you'll follow me I'll show you to your rooms." with that, he turned on his heels and walked briskly into the castle's foyer.

The décor was subtle and timeless, tasteful if I do say so myself. Lots of wood and exposed brick, warm fires and candles, mutely coloured rugs scattered on the bare stone floor, and a y-shaped staircase in front of us.