Chapter 11- Carnet

Carnet's POV

"Your file didn't say anything about you being a red wolf." the Alpha was the first one to speak. My head tilted to the side, my ears flicking up and twitching. A red wolf? I mean I knew I had red fur but he said 'red wolf' like it meant something.

"Red wolf?" I echoed.

"Yes, I gather you've heard of the fabled white wolves, they signify a new beginning, starting anew, purity and completion. Red wolves are similar, the meaning behind them is different but the appearance of one is just as important if not more so," he explained and I frowned. I'd never heard of a red wolf in the books of werewolf history I'd read, I'd heard of the white wolf, how spiritually important they were, how the birth of one heralded a new age for the werewolves, a chance to turn over a new leaf and begin again, to forgive and come together, to rejoice in the good fortune that was certain to come.

There were also stories about black wolves, how they heralded mystery, and power, warned of strict leadership, sophisticated and elegant, but also sadness and anger, even mass loss, the birth of a black wolf signalled hard times, the unknown and upsetting.

What would a red wolf bring? I'd never thought much of my fur colour in wolf form since red was an uncommon but natural occurrence amongst wild wolves, which is what we called wolves in nature. Most if not all werewolves had that generic coat colour that you associate with a wolf, that grey, white, black and brown coat, the timber colour. Of course, everyone looked a little different, some crept into almost being all black or all white but never completely. When they were they were deemed either a white or black wolf, grey was in between so there was no such thing as a grey wolf in our society. It was our lore our history, the fabled white wolf, and stories of the happenings surrounding white wolves fuelled the beliefs, you'd struggle to find a werewolf who wasn't a believer.

Brown wolves were more common, they were strong and reliable, solid, resilient, and dependable, and they give a sense of safety and security, appearing solid and unbreakable. They also warn of loneliness, sadness and isolation. The impressive and notable alpha's in history had almost always been brown wolves, the symbolism almost reflected what an alpha would be, they were the strongest, they looked after their pack, and they protected the weak. Being an alpha could be lonely though, stressful and the position could isolate you from the rest of your kind, the responsibility was immense and you were treated differently.

If I really was a red wolf then what did it mean? Why have I never heard of it before? It was a terrifying but also intriguing thought, what did my birth signal for the werewolf world? The fated wolf always played a big part in the happenings following their creation, I hoped I wasn't a red flag, worry filled me but I was curious, I never felt like I had a deep burning purpose, that my existence would affect so many. I was just me, son of the Beta from an insignificant pack, sure we were known for our strategy but the feats from other packs were much more impressive, smarts weren't something werewolves were very proud of, fighting prowess, strength and power were admired much more than intelligence.

"But why do I have a tail and ears?" I asked them all, sitting up as the position was hurting my back, having to look over my shoulder at them.

"It's called a partial shift, like shifting it is a great stress reliever for you and your wolf. You were both quite stressed but your previous condition tells me you've been ignoring his feelings." the doctor accused me and I frowned. Had I? I mean I'd wanted to roll onto my back and submit to the Alpha many times since I'd met him, I'd not done it though, I was too embarrassed and I didn't think me doing it would be well received.