Chapter 5- Satish

Yesterday felt like years, all the preparation, the first stage of the Luna Choosing, the dinner.

I sighed deeply, looking up at the ceiling, my arms tucked behind my head, the sheets slipped down to my waist, barely covering my nakedness.

The balcony door was open, cool, sharp, early morning air refreshing on my bare skin, succeeding in waking me up for yet another long day ahead.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed staring at all those young virgins, but sometimes there was little to keep me interested, I had to choose five though, as is tradition, as hundreds of years ago there only used to be five packs, and the Alpha was required to pick one pure wolf as a contender for the next Luna. It was like an offering back then, paying homage to the most powerful pack and its Alpha. The Stentorian Pack has been the strongest for many generations and I never intend for that to change.

The Luna Choosing isn't as simple as you might think, sure, looks are important, but the Alpha's expected to have a dashing bride, to showcase his wealth and importance. Genes are also important though, heritage, whatever pack my Luna comes from will gain a lot of notoriety, it wouldn't be good to give it to the wrong one.

I'd had to study all of the contenders' files, the hundreds and hundreds of them, trying to put the files to their names so I knew something about them when they were presented to me. I kept a list in front of me with names, those I was considering, those I wasn't. I'd had to make a show of looking at them anyway, even if I intended on saying no even before I'd seen what they looked like.

All those I was considering had to be whittled down to five, now I wouldn't say I was picky but less is more as the saying goes, choosing five was difficult. It was such an important decision though, one of those five I would be stuck with for the rest of my life, they would carry my pups and birth the future Alpha. I needed to be able to stand them, which was what today was all about, getting a glimpse of their personality, I very wasn't optimistic.

A knock sounded at the door before it opened, revealing my Beta, who was also my cousin, his name was Jan. "Morning Alpha." he greeted me respectfully, but he was smiling cheekily in a very friendly fashion. He was my best friend and we'd grown up together, I trusted him with my life, I listened to his council, he was my right-hand man after all.

"Hi Jan." I groaned as I stretched, sitting up slowly and slipping out of bed, letting the sheets fall off of me, revealing my birthday suit and the heavy morning wood that swung between my legs. I didn't care about being naked around others and Jan was more than used to it, he didn't bat an eye. "How long till breakfast?" I asked and he checked his watch.

"Hmm... about half an hour, they should be bringing the lucky five down soon, god I hope there's a cat fight," he told me and I snorted. The five wolves were put together for a while on purpose, it was good to see what they were like when they thought no one was watching, it really gave insight as to their personality and not the façade they put on, I really don't want to get stuck with someone with a vile personality who was all gentle smiles and batting eyelashes on the outside. I couldn't get a divorce, once a decision was made that was it. "But such pretty princesses they are," he added in a feminine voice, putting a wistful expression on his face.

I shook my head at his humour, he was a character, but I liked that about him, he made my day lighter and easier to swallow, more palatable.

"So, which one would you pick?" I wondered as I headed to the bathroom, stepping into the large and spacious shower, the glass perfectly clear. Jan leant on the doorframe, continuing to talk to me over the sound of the shower as I quickly washed the sweat from my sleep off my skin.