Chapter 3- Carnet

We were led back down the hall and to the split staircase, meeting the few female contenders, we descended the stairs, curling around and going underneath the stairs and through some solid oak doors and into a ballroom-like room. It was long and rectangular, extravagant chandlers staggered down the centre of the ceiling. Parents sat at tables leading along each wall, leaving a path in the middle for us to walk. Just before the few steps, the two long tables stopped, separate, smaller ones were scattered either on either side of the room for the Stentorian Pack, closer to their Alpha, who sat on the raised platform in a regal high backed dark wood chair behind a dark wood table. He sat in the middle, his parents sat on either side along with his close family.

Down the middle of the room was a blood-red carpet laid out, the marble floor polished until it shined, reflecting the chandlers. A feast was spread across all of the tables, creating a mouth-watering smell in the air. The werewolf that led us here made us wait for a few moments, waiting until the Alpha raised his hand, his figure a blur in the distance, the ballroom was really long.

The females went first, only about fifteen of them, they were all beautiful in their own way. We followed after, joining the end of the line and slowly walking down the red carpet, feeling the proud eyes of our parents on us. I started walking when the man moved in front of me, taking a deep breath, it was a little shaky from nerves.

As I walked, making sure my posture was how mum had trained me, and I caught her eye. She smiled widely, tapping her lips, I smiled back and she seemed pleased. I walked passed and saw my father's light brown eyes, I swear his eyes looked a little damp, but I must be seeing things.

We slowly got closer and my eyes took in the Alpha as his features slowly became clearer. He looked tall in his chair, his shoulders incredibly broad, confined in a white button-down shirt. His skin was deeply tanned, but his was natural, the weather roughened skin showed he was outside a lot of the time. His medium brown hair was pulled back, it looked like was thick and braided. His eyes were a steel grey, sharp and serious, his full lips set in a stern expression, stubble covering his lower cheeks, chin and neck. His presence was intense, it was thick in the air, and it drowned me as I got closer, I got the strong urge to fall to my knees and bare my neck, his eyes like staring into the sun, it was impossible.

When I reached the front we stood in an orderly formation, the first row of contenders a few steps from the raised platform. A very well-dressed older werewolf stood with a long scroll in hand, ready and waiting for all of us to have reached the end of the red carpet. He cleared his throat, unravelling the scroll, the room went deathly quiet as he started to read out the names.

The first contender shakily ascended the three steps and stood before the Alpha's table, head bowed and to the side in submission, legs looking a little shaky. The Alpha's eyes scoured over the contender, the room seemed to be holding its breath. He shook his head minutely. The contender's shoulders dropped and she quickly went to get some comfort from her parents.

The Alpha would pick a select few of us and tomorrow they would get the chance to spend some time with him, so he could ask questions and get to know us a bit. The wait went torturously slow, each contender going up and waiting for the Alpha's verdict. All of the females got a shake of the head, and the men were looked at a little bit longer, but he still hadn't nodded at anyone and quite a few contenders had already been seen. The older wolf with the scroll kept reading out names, and the sounds of quiet crying could be heard behind me from the rejected contenders.

All the contenders in front of me were going fast suddenly and I fought the urge to wring my hands nervously, but I could be seen so I kept still. Another male walked up and even I could see he was stunning, wrapped in just a black silk robe, open to the navel, his hips swaying seductively, his golden hair radiant and skin gently tanned, long legs seeming to go on forever. The Alpha looked him over for a long time, his face blank, but he finally nodded. The contender bowed, turning away, a dazzling grin on his face, a few cheers coming from his family behind me.

A few more contenders went by and then my name was called. "Carnet Larkin of the Keel Pack." the man's voice boomed across the expansive room and I gulped, taking a deep breath before starting to walk, making sure to keep my posture flawless and elegant. My feet left the carpet, the marble was cold and unyielding. I ascended the steps and stood before the alpha, keeping my back straight was difficult and stopping my knee's from knocking together from his crushing presence made me want to roll on my belly and whimper. I tilted my head to the side, baring my neck, a curl tumbling over one of my eyes but I didn't dare correct it. I kept my eyes on one of his shirt buttons, feeling his own rake down my body, making me feel hot all over, his gaze like bare flames against my skin. I fought against squirming, my breaths coming out a little shallow and faster than normal. I could smell him from here, the heady masculine musk, dominating and all-consuming. The food on the tables barely made a dent in comparison to his scent.

It felt like I stood there for hours, slowly roasting from his gaze like a rotisserie chicken.

He nodded.

I almost missed it but I saw it.

He nodded.

I heard my mother's squeals and cheering and felt the glares of many on my back. I got the urge to fall to my knees, bowing didn't feel enough, I just went with it. I elegantly dropped to my knees, my legs working so my knees hit the ground gently. My hands spread on my thighs, fingers pointing away from me and I bowed my head, making sure to keep my back perfectly straight. I stayed there for a moment before raising again, not using my hands, just my legs.

I turned and descended the steps, heading down the aisle to where my parents were seated. My mother was grinning incredibly widely as I sat down between my parents. My father's very warm and rough hand rested on my shoulder for a moment and I turned to look at him, he was smiling warmly, it was an unfamiliar sight for him. Mum was vibrating with happiness, I was in disbelief, to be honest. He'd nodded at me, he was considering me for his Luna, it didn't seem possible.

The rest of the names were called, there ended up being five contenders in total, all of them dazzlingly beautiful, wasn't sure about me though.

After that we were free to eat, I didn't really feel hungry but mum put my food on my plate, showing me what I was allowed. I ate slowly, almost in a daze, with chatter all around me. The food was delicious though, perfectly cooked, the meat wonderfully tender.

After dinner, we were excused and were able back up to our rooms. I promptly had a shower to get all the body glitter off, I felt so tired, a lot had happened today. I dried myself and pulled on pyjamas, crawling beneath the cool covers and dropping off in minutes.