𝟏𝟒. 𝑳𝒐𝒔𝒕 & 𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅

Kribirsk, East Ravka

Three days of travel. Before we stopped in Os Alta to buy some things needed for the travel. Fedyor was kind enough and threw me a bag of coins so I could afford myself a little something as well. Fedyor was very kind while Ivan kept his dark, serious mimic. As soon as the sun would shine the next morning, Ivan would rush us to continue traveling without even letting us to open our eyes properly.  Fedyor and I would talk and laugh, sharing funny stories we've encountered in the Little Palace. Funny enough he mentioned Zoya. He said she wasn't very nice to anyone that just as much as caught the glimpse of the General. I had to smirk and roll my eyes. I was amused. Amused by the fact that there would be such rivalry for the Generals attention. A simple man and yet the second most powerful man in Ravka. It's ridiculous. Yet I wondered whether he can show affection or did he always stay so professional, distanced and cold. Even with me he is on a distance, despite our little bickering or provoking. I basically almost spit in his face when we met, blurted out the most harsh things, insulted him and now here I am. One of his trusted right hands.

We slowed down the paces of our horses as we entered the city of Kribirsk and slowly made our way through the city. The people here seemed cheerful, some streets were narrow and crowded, others were wide but filled with life, people walking left and right, loud chattering and laughing. I forgot how the outside world is like. I forgot the crowded places and the constant moving around, interacting with others and just drinking and laughing without having to stay formal or professional. I missed this subtle savagery. I missed this freedom. I always said I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. And yet again, this threw me back to Ketterdam. I looked around, took in the scenery and smiled slightly but soon I found myself approaching Ivan and align with his horses pace.

"So," I began. "what's the plan, Ivan?" I asked him but wasn't even met with a single look as if I am nothing but just one of the peasants walking these streets.

"You won't be doing anything." He answered in an annoyed undertone. "Fedyor and I will deal with this."

"As far as I am concerned, the General sent me with you to assist. Not just sit around." I faced the road forward again, not gifting him one single gaze anymore.

"Well, I am in charge here, Raven." he retorted.

"You forget yourself, Ivan. Have you already forgotten we share the same position now?" I mocked and it gave me pleasure and amusement. I could see it in his face, he despises the fact I am equal to him now and he hadn't come to terms with it yet.

"And you are already allowing it to get to your head." he hissed.

"Like it did to yours?" I smirked. Ivan hadn't said a word anymore and in that brief moment I knew I silenced him. One is certain, I haven't lost my ability to speak my sharp mind and kept my sarcastic persona. Fedyor chuckled silently next to me.

"Oh come on Ivan. Loosen up a bit." he smiled but Ivan just gave him a silent humpf. Fedyor shook his head. "He is not always like this, you know? He is actually fun to be around if you would get to know him." he whispered to me.

I scoffed and furrowed my eyebrows in disbelief. "Now that's quite hard to believe if you ask me.."

"Pfff, oh I know." he shook his head amused. "The General told me your part in this before he sent me off to collect you." Fedyor said, turning his gaze to me for a swift moment. "There has been a report that some indentures have, let's say..strayed off their supposed path. Believing you have a good ear, you will listen to the talks to maybe find something useful."

I went into my thoughts for a moment, thinking. Suddenly I felt pressure on my chest and a thought didn't want to disappear. "Those indentures," I turned my head to Fedyor. "could you tell me more? Just so I know what I'm looking for."