𝟏𝟗. 𝑮𝒂𝒎𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝑺𝒖𝒓𝒗𝒊𝒗𝒂𝒍

Who's in the shadows?
Who's ready to play?
Are we the hunters?
Or are we the prey?
There's no surrender
And there's no escape
Are we the hunters?
Or are we the prey?

This is a wild game of survival.

I am Raven. A girl from the Island of Kerch. I was born and trained to be a thief, a criminal, a spy, an assassin. I made myself who I am today. No one made me. I made me. This power did not define me. I am still that girl from Ketterdam that fought to survive and found herself a family, that girl that feared no one and nothing. That escaped death and considers it an old, welcomed friend. I am a crow. And as Kaz told me, once a crow always a crow. I am loyal. Loyal to my friends that I consider family and I am a fearless fighter that never allowed anyone or anything to shake her ground. The sarcastic girl with her smart remarks and sharp tongue. The girl, willing to give her life for her loved ones. And this, new life..will not take that away from me. Not now. Not ever.

I marched through the halls, making my way back to the fete. Now I had to keep an eye on everyone and everything so this mission goes smoothly. I secured an escape plan with Jesper, that has been dealt with even though I still scoffed at the fact he found it fit to have his little fun while the others focus on the target. As I passed the halls I heard a sudden shot and shouting. I stopped abruptly, looking around in the hall.

"Genya.." I suddenly realized. Grabbed my Kefta on both sides, rising it slightly up from the ground and ran through the halls where I heard the scream, rushing my way as I found an open secret door and saw soldiers gathered around, pushing a figure against the wall. I stopped out of breath, looking at him. Arken. He got caught.

"What happened here?" I suddenly raised my voice, staring down the soldiers around as one pulled Arken away that has recognized me and gave me a stare. A stare with which one would look at a traitor. I didn't waste a minute as I quickly turned and entered the room, seeing Genya kneeling down over a body that wore Alina's black kefta with the embroidery of sun rays and the sun's shape. I gasped running to her and letting myself fall on my knees in shock, next to Genya. "Alina?" I called but suddenly realized it is Marie laying, lifeless with an open slit throat, bleeding out. I sighed in relief that it wasn't Alina he caught. I turned hastily to look over my shoulder. Kaz knew Arken will get caught so that only meant General Kirigan knew someone will try to grab Alina. My heart clenched as I realized how the whole situation tightened. Arken will be taken into custody but I can't worry about him now. He recognized me, he saw me. It's a risk I have to deal with it myself in order to keep my identity hidden so no one finds out I am involved in this.

I looked back at Genya that was out of breath herself and out of nowhere I just grabbed her arms and wrapped her in a tight hug. "Thank the saints you're safe.." I whispered. I was relieved to know Genya was alright and nothing happened to her.

"Have they caught him?" Genya asked short of breath, looking worryingly at me and I nodded.

"They've taken him away..." I informed her and she nodded as we both held onto each other, helping each other standing up. Our gazes went back on the lifeless body of Marie. As much as I didn't like her, she didn't deserve this...I wondered whether she knew the risks of this..If I didn't get distracted by my intrusive, unbearing thoughts I might've been able to make it on time to save the both of them..I held Genya in my embrace but then remembered I had to return back. "I have to inform the General.." I whispered as she slowly let go of me, nodding.

"Take care, Raven." This was her goodbye. She knew I would leave. She knew that later in the night I would run and never come back. I still dreaded that thought but knew I had no other choice. Funny, it seemed as if I never had a choice since I am here. I sighed, turned around quickly and ran out the room.