𝟏𝟓. 𝑷𝒍𝒂𝒚 𝑷𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒅

Little Palace, Os Alta

Ivan and Fedyor didn't manage in their investigation to find anything useful or about the whereabouts of Nina Zenik. To my amusement I've seen it as an advantage and kept my little secret to myself. I could've told them. Could lie I heard it in the crowds, but they would question me further. Wanting to know who it is that knew such information. Oh but I can turn it into my advantage. I can be the one to report to the General. And truly it was incredibly amusing, watching them investigate and just being clueless. I expected more from the Generals right hands. But my thoughts were with Kaz, Inej and Jesper. It was refreshing seeing them again and I am more than relieved to see them being safe and sound. I had so much to tell them but time wasn't enough. But the day will come when they find a way into the palace and we escape with Alina. But what if she doesn't want to escape? A part of me wants to let her make that decision but another part of me wants to protect her. She seemed fragile, naive even. What if she isn't strong enough to handle all of this? Please, she is the Sun Summoner. She is strong. I kept replaying scenarios over and over and over in my head. From beginning to end. Drawing conclusions and connecting the dots. The greatest mystery for me was who I am. What is my purpose? And what exactly is my use in this? I stayed out of politics and let Kaz lead but now, I'm in the middle of everything happening in Ravka. All because I got put in a position of power.

In the distance I made out the shape of the Little Palace. I smiled seeing it again. We have been gone for a week but returned with nothing. Well they did. As soon as our horses came to an halt and we jumped off of them I smiled. In the corner of my eye I made out the figures of Jordin and Adonis, looking at me in question marks and they kept silent. I gave them a gentle nod as a greeting and made my way inside the Palace with Ivan and Fedyor right in front of me, leading the way. While walking, I took my gloves off and held them in my hand and soon the doors opened of the Generals office as we entered and I closed the doors behind me again, a smile plastered on my face. I did notice the looks of the other Grisha again. I guess they didn't like my confidence that I began radiating and filling all the rooms I set foot in. I smirked at the thought as I turned around and walked up between Ivan and Fedyor that stood a few inches away from the Generals desk. 

The General sat in his chair, leaned back, mustering us as we bowed our heads slightly to greet him and pay him respect. His mouth twitched as he intended to speak. "Well, I see you've returned well." he said, sighing out and getting up from his seat, walking around his table as he traced the edges with his fingers. "What have you brought for me?" his voice was softspoken and yet dominant. The smile on my face did not vanish but I lowered my head as it is not my place to speak just yet.

"My General..we- we couldn't find anything on the whereabouts of Nina..no traces, whatsoever have encountered our way.." Ivan informed, lowering his head in shame.

The Generals mimic darkened, became tense almost, he seemed disappointed or even slightly angered by this disappointing information. "You, Ivan, never failed me. And now I sent three of you to finish a simple task and you've returned with displeasing news?"

"My General.." Fedyor jumped in, but I could sense hesitation in his tone, maybe he was unsure of his words. "..we went through every corner and nothing could be found..it's like all traces of her disappeared..there was nothing left for us to do.."

The General inhaled sharply, raising his head up, I kept my head lowered and soon his eyes met mine as I still held my smirk. "Find. Nina. Return when you have information I required. You're dismissed." he almost hissed.

Fedyor and Ivan bowed in an instant and rushed out the room but seemed to stop at the door when they realized I didn't follow. I placed my hands behind my back, waiting for them to leave and soon heard the doors close behind as they left. The General mustered me from head to toe as he cocked his head to the side. "Is there anything you want to tell me, Raven?" he said, walking past me.