𝟐𝟐. 𝑷𝒓𝒆𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔

Time to put my metal on
Whose blood to spill?
I don't know
Whose side I'm on?
Two armies are coming at me
Their flags and weapons look the same
One tells the truth, the other's lying
And they're both calling my name
This is how villains are made
Ooh, ooh
No one ever starts that way
But this is how villains are made
Time to put my metal on
Whose neck to cut?
I don't know
Whose side I'm on?
There lies my sanity
There goes my mind, I could not save
I don't trust what I see right in front of me
I don't know who to betray.

The walk seemed so long now as I walked in silence through the halls. Passing soldiers and other Grisha here and there. But I've seen no sign of my friends, none of them was around when usually I would find them lurking about. I sigh, I wonder where they all went, even Genya was nowhere to be found. But soon I thought I saw a familiar face. Long blonde hair, a tall silhouette in a blue Kefta with the embroidery of a Tidemaker. Avaline. I haven't talked to her for a long time and often I would find her in Adonis's company which I honestly never wanted to disturb. I fastened my pace, following her as she seemed to be headed to the Library. Right at the door before she stepped in.

"Avaline!" I called. She turned around and greeted me with a smile.

"Hey, Raven! How are you doing?" she asked with a smile plastered on her red lips.

I was dumbfounded for a moment. Just staring at her as I narrowed my eyebrows. I forgot no one has asked me how I am doing in a long while...I forgot that question and form of greeting even existed. There was chaos within me, I don't know how I'm doing, I don't know what I'm feeling so formally I had to lie. "I'm alright, just a bit stressed." I placed a fake smile on my lips. "Listen, uh, do you know where the others are?" I asked, taking a step closer towards her.

"You haven't heard? I thought Adonis had informed you by now." she retorted, fiddling with her fingers in front of her stomach.

"Informed about what?" I asked. Yet again an unsettling feeling crawled upon my skin and made my stomach twist. I wish I had more time. More time to explore my powers and learn how to wield my summoning. Creating a simple galaxy sky in my room was nothing more then an attempt of an amateur. The basics Baghra taught me were of no help as I still sometimes struggle to summon my ability. And honestly, I didn't have the need to use it anyways. I was fine even without it. My combat skills and other skills were of more use then this thing inside my very being.

"We are to get prepared for when we leave for the front at the Shadow Fold." Avaline answered. My eyes shot at her.

"To the Shadow Fold?" I asked, not understanding the meaning of it.

"Generals orders." she just said, but I saw her eyes wander along my face as she sighed. "Are you sure you are alright? You seem pale..?"

"I'm fine." I waved my hand to the side. Suddenly I felt a warm feeling embracing me. A pull. My eyes wander across the Library and I took a deep breath in, placing a hand on my stomach. I gulped as I batted my eyes to keep them dry and placed a gentle smile on my lips. "Thank you Avaline." I walked past her and inside the Library.

"Raven!" she called and I turned to face her. She had pretty brown doe eyes. No wonder Adonis got enchanted by her, and she has a kind, gentle soul I can tell. When she speaks, she has a soft undertone, always so calm. "Take care of yourself." she smiled.

A chuckle escaped my lips. "You take care of my friend." I retorted back. "He is one of the good ones." I lowered my voice in a gentle tone, kept my smile. He is one of the good ones. And I know his intentions are pure. And I wish him nothing more than true happiness. The same I wished for Jordin, for Larissa, for Genya. And I wished for Helena and Sebastian to be together till the end of time. They gave each other hope, fullfilled each other perfectly. Only about my story I wasn't so sure. And my smile slowly faded with that thought and my heart clenched.