JEALOUSY

Swastik came into the classroom lazily. Last night he was reading an interesting fiction after doing his work for school. When he finally had closed the book it was almost two at the night. He slept for less than four hours and would not have come to school if it was not for Neeraj. He had promised to go to a canteen date with Neeraj during the lunch break. 

As soon as Swastik entered the classroom the boys started shouting, "Hi! Swastik!"

Swastik looked around with his half opened eyes and flashed the most fake smile of his. He did not actually look at anyone, he just pretended. All he wanted at that moment was to sleep. He took a quick five minutes nap before Ankit woke him up for attendance. After that he napped through out the first period. After the teacher was gone his classmates gathered around him.

"Swastik, did you complete the pictures for board decoration?" asked Niladri.

"Yes. Here it is." Swastik handed over the pictures.

"Did you write down the script for the assembly of next Monday?" asked Himadri.

"Take a look. Discuss it and then let me know if anything needed to be changed," said Swastik while handing over the paper.

Lavyansh pulled his hand and said, "We have to prepare for the inter-school quiz. Do you remember that?"

Some boys asked for his copy and others asked for something else. After sleeping for a whole period, Swastik was in a good mood. He talked to everyone with a bright smile. He was unaware that someone was looking at him from outside of the classroom through the open window.

Neeraj was in section A of ninth class while Swastik was in section B. As Swastik had missed the school bus and as a result missed the morning assembly, Neeraj did not see him in the morning. Therefore he was there to make sure if Swastik had come to school or not.

Neeraj saw that Swastik was smiling brightly while talking to other boys. Lavyansh pulled his hand and Swastik patted on his back. Ankit said something and everyone burst into a loud laughter. Ayushman placed his hand on Swastik's shoulder; Swastik did not object. Neeraj went back to his classroom.

Neeraj was still sitting in his seat after the bell. He was in a dilemma about going to Swastik or not. Swastik came in and asked, "What are you thinking about? Did you forget about our date?"

"Are you here for our date?" asked Neeraj.

"Yes," replied Swastik. "Hurry up; otherwise all the goodies would be finished."

They went to the canteen. Neeraj's mood became better as they walked together. There were lots of boys gathering around the counter. Swastik and Neeraj were standing behind the crowd. As the boys saw them they waved their hands saying, "Hi Swastik" or "Hello Swastik."

Suddenly someone from the crowd shouted, "Swastik, what do you want? I can place your order with mine." No one objected on that suggestion.

Swastik smiled and said what he wanted. Within five minutes the boy came out of the crowd with Swastik and Neeraj's food along with his own food. Swastik thanked him and paid him for the food.

Swastik and Neeraj walked to the ground and sat down to eat. They ate their lunch together. Neeraj wanted to talk about many things but could not as the boys kept interrupting him. All those boys said "Hi" to Swastik. After finishing his lunch Neeraj placed his hand on Swastik's shoulder.

Swastik quickly moved his body to avoid Neeraj's touch.

Neeraj asked, "What happened?"

"Don't touch me in public," Swastik said.

"I am your boyfriend. Can't I place my hand on your shoulder for a while?" asked Neeraj.

"You can," said Swastik shyly, "but we are in the public place now."

"Were you not in public when Ayushman placed his hand on your shoulder this morning?" asked Neeraj angrily. "Did you not touch Lavyansh as well?"

"What? Did you come to our classroom?" asked Swastik.

"I was just passing by," Neeraj lied.

"Oh! They are just friends of mine," said Swastik.

"So, I am less important than your friends. They are more close to you?"

"It's not like that. You are more important to me."

"But you don't like my touch. Do you even like me?"

"What are you saying? I like you. Today I came to school only for you."

"Do you really like me?" asked Neeraj.

"Yes."

Swastik placed his hand over Neeraj's hand for a short while before getting up.

"Let's go. The lunch break is about to end," Swastik said.

Neeraj got up and they slowly walked towards Swastik's classroom. Every now and then people greeted Swastik. He was extremely popular for his all rounder activities. A couple of people greeted Neeraj too. Neeraj was well aware that the people, who greeted him, did that only because he was Swastik's boyfriend. Swastik walked proudly and confidently among the students.

Neeraj liked Swastik. But who does not? Neeraj was jealous because Swastik had lots of admirers. He knew that he could never become like Swastik and he would have to live under the shadow of Swastik forever. Swastik was not arrogant but Neeraj was jealous.

Swastik thought that his date with Neeraj went well. He was not ready for the break-up which Neeraj suggested next day. But when Neeraj explained his insecurities, Swastik had no words to comfort him. He accepted the break-up and went back to his classroom. He had no time to mourn; he had to get prepared for the upcoming assembly and inter-school quiz.

But was he not hurt? Was that even possible?