MENTAL

"Ankit and Niladri are dating," said someone.

"Ankit and Niladri?" asked someone else in surprise.

"Ankit, that crazy boy?" asked another one.

"Why would Niladri date him? Is there no one else in this school?" asked others.

Lavyansh overheard those conversations. He was Ankit's best friend. He too knew how crazy Ankit was.

'Is it true?' He thought. Ankit did not mention anything about his dating to him. He started pondering if he should ask Ankit about it or wait. 'Let's see what is in his mind."

Ankit took one week to share his affair with Lavyansh. Lavyansh did not mention what those boys were gossiping one week earlier. He congratulated Ankit and gave him his best wishes. Although Ankit had some cracks in his head, he was Lavyansh's best friend.

Lavyansh advised, "Now that you got a boyfriend, you should behave like a matured person. Shouldn't you?"

"I am a mature person," said Ankit.

But he acted like the opposite. When they were going home after school in school bus, Ankit started behaving coquettishly with Niladri. All junior boys in the bus were staring at them. When Niladri's stop came Ankit made a crying face and kept waving his hand after Niladri got down from the bus. The eyes of those junior boys were almost popped out.

"Are all boys from class ninth B gay?" asked one boy from class sixth after Ankit got down from the bus on his stop.

It was not clear whom he was addressing. No one replied to him.

The boy asked again, "Lavyansh bhaiya, are you gay too?"

"No," Lavyansh replied.

"But all the other boys from your class are gay. Aren't they?"

"It's not like that. They just like to tease each other and have fun."

"The boys of our class behave like that too. But the boys from your class are something else. They are all gay," said that kid.

"Aren't you too young to talk about this?" asked Lavyansh.

"But we know these things," said another boy.

Ankit started his crazy behavior again in the following afternoon. He was literally climbing on Niladri's shoulder.

Niladri asked, "What are you doing?"

"You are my horse. I am riding on you," replied Ankit.

"He is riding on Niladri bhaiya," shouted the boys excitedly.

Lavyansh said, "Stop fooling around Ankit. Don't forget that we are in school bus."

"But I want to ride on him," Ankit whined.

Niladri pulled Ankit down and forced him to sit beside him. Niladri's stop came shortly after. When Niladri and Ankit both were not there, the little boys started gossiping about Ankit and Niladri. Lavyansh could not make them stop doing that. He was amazed to know the gossiping capacity of those little boys.

"Ankit bhaiya wanted to do that," one boy said.

"I told you that all the boys of class ninth are gay," another little boy said.

"He wanted to do it in the bus?" asked another boy.

"He is shameless," said one boy.

"He is mental," said another boy.

Soon Lavyansh's stop came and he got down quickly. He did not have to listen to those gossips anymore. But the whole incident in the bus kept troubling him. He knew that Ankit was a little bit crazy, but did not expect that behavior from him.

Next morning Lavyansh tried to put some sense in Ankit's head but Ankit was too oblivious of his wrongdoings. Niladri was absent from school that day. Ankit missed him badly and talked about him throughout the day.

Niladri went to the school after one day. As soon as he got in the bus Ankit started shouting, "Niladri, Niladri. Come sit here."

Junior boys started laughing and Niladri felt a little bit embarrassed. After the school was over Ankit and Lavyansh got in the bus first. Ankit sat on the seat he used to sit and lavyansh sat on his usual sit too. Niladri was late; therefore the seat beside Ankit was empty. Two junior boys got in the bus, one boy sat beside Lavyansh and the other one took the seat beside Ankit.

Ankit shouted angrily, "Why did you sit there? Don't you know that the seat belongs to Niladri?"

"Oh really?" the boy said. "I can't see his name printed here."

"He always sits there, it is his seat," Ankit said.

"Now it is mine, as I am sitting here."

"You can't sit here," Ankit said.

"I can," replied the boy.

When Niladri finally came he was so embarrassed to face the situation. He said, "It's okay Ankit. I can sit on any other seat."

"But I want to sit with you," Ankit whined.

"It's my fault that I came late today. We would sit together tomorrow." Niladri handled the situation tactfully.

But Ankit's crazy behaviour never changed. Within a month Niladri got tired of Ankit's behavior. He broke up with Ankit and started going to school by his own bike.