CHAPTER 1

3 years later...

"Grandmother, I am here to pay you a visit." Wen Xin announced to his grandmother who is drinking tea.

Grand empress dowager immediately got up and smiled at him. "Come here, sit." She said and guided him to his seat. "Aiya, good thing you came to visit me, I've been feeling sick these days. I remember, I have a treasure that was given by the Northern state as a tribute. I want to show and give it to you. How about that?" He just smiled and nodded. "Jinxi, get it." The grand empress dowager said to the maid.

After a minute, the maid came back with a box in her hand. She handed it to his grandmother.

Grand empress dowager opened the box and he saw a two pair of a bracelet. The bigger bracelet had a black pearl while the smaller bracelet has a white pearl. "Xin'er, this is a couple bracelet. The envoy who sent this to me said that a couple who will wear this will be bond together for the rest of their lives and the bracelet's pearl will disappear when one of the couple will die. Hope you'll take care of this."

He looked at the box his grandmother was giving him. He knows that when he accepts the gift, his grandmother wants him to repay it with something else. But if he doesn't accept it, it might hurt his grandmother's feelings and will worsen her condition.

He didn't have a choice but took the box, making his grandmother smile. "Grandmother, what do you want this time?"

His grandmother laughed. "You really know your grandmother. Anyway, the northern state has been pledging their alliance to us and I remember when you and your brother were still a toddler, there was a princess from the northern state who came here with his father for the banquet. Do you remember her?"

He tried to recall it but he couldn't. "I don't remember. But maybe, my brother can recall it. Why do you ask, grandmother?"

"Well, I've been thinking of arranging for you a marriage alliance with the northern state princess. What do you think?"

He sighed. "Grandmother, you know that I've been married."

Grand empress dowager sighed. "But she is already dead, Wen Xin. And both of your parents aren't present in your wedding so it is not valid."

He looked at his grandmother. "No, grandmother. I already told you that the body they found near the house wasn't her. I know that my wife is still alive."

"Wen Xin, even if she's still alive, where has she been in the past three years? If she really loves you, she should come to the palace and find you. I bet she knows who you really are."

He laughed bitterly inside. Of course he is also thinking that. "Grandmother, don't meddle in my wedding anymore. I know what I am doing."

She looks hysterical. "But even though you don't want to get married, it is also your responsibility to produce an heir to continue our legacy!"

He was about to answer when they heard a knock on the door. Then Eunuch Bi came in. "Your majesty, Grand empress dowager." He bowed to them before looking at him. "Your majesty, Cao Zhi has an urgent report to relay."

He nodded and bid his goodbye to her grandmother. "Grandmother, I am taking my leave. I will visit you again when I have free time." He said and they left. 

They walked toward the palace and saw Cao Zhi waiting for them inside. After he sat on his chair, he looked at Cao Zhi. "What is it?"

"Your majesty, I just received a letter from the person I sent in Xinzhu. Here." Cao Zhi handed him a piece of paper. He immediately read it.

“As per your order, I personally visit Xinzhu and I don't see any relief that was sent in every family, instead, those who are trying to ask for food to the officials are labelled as rebels and will be sent to the dam to be labourers. I'm afraid corruption is happening here. I hope, your majesty will punish those who do evil. That's all.”