CHAPTER 7

Through the month without Nianian by his side, problems keep on arising on the court. The marriage alliance, not enough funds for the military, disasters after disasters and now, their national treasury is nearing empty.

That's why he doesn't have a choice but to accept the marriage alliance with the Northern state princess to avoid further casualties and disaster in their state.

"Cao Zhi, how's the Denxin Sect? Did their leader already take over the sect?"

"Yes, your majesty. As of now, Miss Nianian is already on her way to the palace."

He smiled. That's good. She can already see her after one month since she took over the Denxin sect. "Go and welcome her outside." He ordered. He also wants to welcome her but he can't because he is focusing on reading reports from the borders.

When she arrived at the palace gate, she saw Cao Zhi waiting for her outside. She immediately got out of the carriage and started walking. "Cao Zhi, where is the emperor?"

"Miss Nianian, his majesty is in his palace. He is busy reading reports so he sent me here on his behalf to welcome you."

She smiled. "I know."

While walking towards the Emperor's palace, she kept hearing whispers until she heard a bit of it.

"So the Northern princess will be married here? I heard she is a beauty! She is so lucky to marry the emperor."

She stopped upon hearing the murmurs clearly. She looked around and saw two maids not far from where they were. She sighed and continued walking until they reached the emperor's palace.

When she got inside, she saw the emperor on his table so she immediately stood in front and bowed. "Your majesty." She acknowledged her presence.

"Nianian, you're here." The emperor immediately neared her and when he tried to hug her, she immediately stepped back.

"Please refrain yourself from hugging me, your majesty, or others will talk."

"Have you already heard of it?"

"Why wouldn't I, your majesty? This palace is like a cage to every person and talking is the only way to relieve their stress." She said and bowed to him. "Congratulations on your marriage, may you two live harmoniously and treat each other with respect, fidelity and love. Your majesty, please continue reading your reports, I will stay outside to avoid distracting you." She said and walked out. She also saw Cao Zhi standing beside the door so she did the same while pondering on what she told the emperor.

Did I sound sarcastic or bitter? Or did I sound ruthless?

She shook her head. Of course she also felt disappointed when she heard the rumours but she also can't reprimand the emperor because of that because he also has the country to protect.

She laughed at herself. She wanted to push him away but she is also feeling hurt in the process. How pathetic.

"Miss Nianian, are you okay? Why are there tears in your eyes while laughing?"

She looked at Cao Zhi confused. "Ah?" She touches her cheeks and there are really tears in her face. "Maybe I just miss the palace?"

Well, that's a lie. She would never wanted to stay in this place where all types of people stay. Greediness, power struggle, status, name it. She always wanted to stay away from the palace but she needs to be the guardian to repay the kindness of Denxin sect when they admit her and care for her while she was pregnant until she gave birth. Also, it is also a good way to investigate the assassination happened three years ago.