CHAPTER 9

After an hour of eating different delicacies outside, Prince Su already decided to go back to the palace, making her sigh in relief. He had been roasting her, asking questions after questions about how she became the guardian of the emperor until they reached the topic about her son which made the prince want to visit but she declined.

Her son has been living with her master in seclusion and she also doesn't want to disclose more about her son. It is already enough that Prince Su knew about his son so he will have something to appease the mind of the emperor of the Southern state when Prince Su talked about her.

When they reached the palace, it was already dark so she sent the prince to his room before she went back to the Emperor's palace. When she arrived there, Cao Zhi was outside giving her a sign not to make a sound.

When she neared him, she whispered. "Why? Is the emperor in a bad mood?"

Cao Zhi nodded. "This is the second time I saw the emperor throwing everything he sees in anger."

"And when is the first time?"

"That was three years ago, when he came back and only found that house was burned to ashes. The only thing that is making him sane is the fact that you were not in that house."

"I wanna ask you too, Cao Zhi, why would the emperor want to kill me that day too?"

Cao Zhi looked at her confused. "Ha? What do you mean, Miss Nianian? The emperor is so in love with you so why would he kill you?"

"I'm thinking about it too. But, I saw the letter on the culprits. It is his handwriting."

"Are you sure? Because the emperor never wrote and read anything when he was sent to the palace for the conferring of the emperor." He said.

"Could it be that someone is trying to sow discord between me and the emperor? Because if it is, he did his job well. I've been hating the emperor for years because I thought he wanted to kill me."

Then she remembers what the old man told her. The mark! Those people also wanted to assassinate the emperor, why would she forget it?

Those people had been wanting to eliminate the emperor, could it be that the Emperor has always been in danger because of them?

But the palace is well-guarded. Outsiders won't know the secret passage but if they have someone from the inside who knows everything about the palace, it is not too hard to come and and out, untraceable.

She sighed and sat beside the door. She doesn't want to go in to heightened the emperor's anger and she still doesn't know the reason. Maybe tomorrow, his anger will subside.

When tomorrow came, the emperor and Prince Su had their breakfast in the Emperor's palace. She was just silently staying beside the emperor who didn't even talk to her since yesterday.

Every Time she saw Prince Su looking at her and smiling, she was just giving him a slight smile because the emperor had been looking at her sharply everytime he caught the Prince smiling at her.

After their breakfast, they decided to go out of the palace to tour the capitol but Cao Zhi came. "Your majesty, there is a problem that needs your guidance. The ministers has been in the court, waiting for you."

"Okay." He looked at Prince Su. "Looks like I can't accompany you for your last day trip in the western state. But don't worry, I will send some guards to be with you. How about that?"

Prince Su smiled and shook his head. "No need, just let Honghong accompany me." He said and pulled her to his side.

"H-Honghong?"