CHAPTER 3

The sect leader and Nianian kneeled and bowed. "Your majesty, may you long live and prosper."

He nodded. "You may get up."

The two get up and stand straight. Then the sect leader went forward. "Your majesty, according to the assessed people of our sect, Gao Nianian excelled in all of it. That's why I decided to send her here in exchange for the last guardian. Hope you'll accept her, your majesty."

He was about to talk when Minister Fudi moved forward. "Your majesty, even if Gao Nianian excelled in the assessment, the fact still remains that she is a woman and females always put their emotions in everything. How can she protect you if something happens?"

Minister Fao also moved forward. "I agree with Minister Fudi, your majesty. Over the decades, there has been no other woman who became guardian of the emperor."

He was about to talk when a Nianian forward. "Your majesty, minister, can I say something?" She looked at him so he nodded to tell her to continue. "While I was studying the history of the guardians, I came across the story of the first and only woman who became a guardian. Through her bravery and unwavering spirit, she ease the minister's doubts and face the discrimination of different gender. So what if I am just a woman? The fact still remains that I am a woman who is willing to protect and guard the emperor."

Ministers started whispering but Minister Fao was still not convinced. "But—"

"Enough. Miss Nianian was my saviour when I had an expedition to the Xinzhu. She saved me from the hand of those assassins so I know she'll be a good guardian." He said. "Also, there are no rules that women can't be guardians. When we, men, can be a guardian, then women can also be. The late emperor already broke the discrimination of men and women who can join in the imperial college, why can't we accept women to be a guardian? That's just plain nonsense."

Eunuch Bi cleared his throat before he talked. "Let's start the guardian ceremony!" He announced and he handed him the guardian sword.

He gets up while holding the sword on both of his hands and goes in front of Nianian who is now kneeling.

"Miss Nianian, are you ready to get hurt and die for the emperor? Are you ready to follow the emperor, be his protector until death and keep the safety of the emperor?"

"I am ready, your majesty!"

"Don't be reckless, be loyal and honest and respect the emperor."

"Yes, your majesty!"

"Are you willing to be the Emperor's shield and sword in any time and any place?"

"I am willing, your majesty!"

"I, as an emperor, am now bestowing you to be my guardian. This is the sword that will be with you throughout your journey as a guardian. Keep it safe and use it when necessary."

Nianian took the sword. "Yes, your majesty."

"Get up."

"Thank you, your majesty." Nianian said and was about to get up when she took a wrong step and almost fell to the ground. Good thing he had fast reflexes and caught her on time. She immediately gets up when she realises their position. "Sorry about that, your majesty."

"Forget about it." He said and looked at Eunuch Bi. "Eunuch  Bi." He nodded.

"Morning meeting, dismissed!"

While sending off her sect leader, she was just listening to his leader while she's busy looking at her sword.

"Nianian, I need to go back now. I still need to personally welcome those new recruited members of our sect. Don't worry about Hong Xin, your master will definitely take care of him."