CHAPTER 2

He was in shock while staring at the eye of the woman he always longed for. "G-Gao Hong."

Nianian look down. "Your majesty, I am Nianian. Our leader told me that I will be the next guardian and I heard of your expedition that's why I tail you without an order. I apologise."

He shook his head. " I-It's okay."

Nianian just nodded her head and walked towards Cao Zhi who was unconscious on his arm. She checked his pulse. "Your majesty, they are not poisoned. They 're just given sleeping powder and we'll just wait till morning and they will wake up."

He nodded and took Cao Zhi to his tent. Then he goes out to look for his army who might be in a bad position that will make them suffer when they wake up. Good thing they all lie on the grass and no one had a bad fall from stones.

He looked for Nianian and saw her in the area where the army cooked their food. After a while, she neared him. "Your majesty, I can smell the sleeping powder from the water. Earlier while I was watching you all, I saw a bunch of army men take water from the river and use it as their drinking water. The enemies really spent a fortune to buy loads of sleeping powder just to put it on the flowing river. Good thing I was fast enough to stop them from assassinating you or else, my first day might be my death anniversary." She shook her head and sat on the big stone.

He also sat on the stone in front of him and just watched her sharpening her sword with those emotionless eyes again. "How are you these past years?"

She looks at him before she looks away. "Me? Well, I live well. Hong Xin had always been with me all the time and he also made me happy."

He? His mood turned sour in a second. It's just three years since they parted and she already had someone with her?

"Do you love him? Is he treating you well? Do you love him too?"

She looked at him weirdly. "Well, yes? I also love him more than I love myself. I am willing to protect him at all costs and I am very much willing to trade my life just to let him be safe and sound."

He nodded while laughing bitterly. "You really love him so much. Okay, I'll go get some sleep, keep guarding here, guardian." He then walked towards his tent and lay on the cushion. He keeps on flipping on his bed while thinking about what happened earlier. It took him almost an hour before he slept.

It was already morning when he woke up. He gets up and puts on his clothes before he walks out of the tent. He saw his guardian helping the army because they are still feeling weak and it's still morning and his mood is already sour.

He annoyingly looked at Cao Zhi who neared him. "What?"

Cao Zhi stepped back. "Your majesty, isn't she—"

"Even if she is, I don't care! She already has Hong Xin to take care of her! And now she is dilly-dallying with my army, she is so unfaithful!" He then walked towards his horse. "Tell them that we start to set out after they get their energy back. We will arrive at Xinzhu before afternoon."

Cao Zhi nodded. I got it, Your majesty." He then neared his army and told them his announcement.

He was drinking his own water when his guardian neared him so he eyed her in confusion. "Your majesty, we will set out for how many hours and you haven't had your breakfast yet. Here, this bun is tasty. You can eat it." He looked at the bun she was giving him. She just sighed and took it. He ate it before riding his horse.

He looked at his army and they were already riding their horses. He looked at Nianian who was standing beside him and looking around, vigilantly. He looks around before he looks at her. "What are you looking at?"