Indie - You don't know what you have until it's gone I guess

Cassy, William, Uncle Kimmy, and I sat underneath a tent with pillows and blankets in his living room. He took a flashlight and read "The Three Little Pigs" to us. We fell asleep but I woke up, staring at the ceiling of the tent, to Uncle Kimmy's booming voice. I peeked out of the side of the tent as he paced back and forth in the kitchen. Cassy leaned against the counter. I listened to their conversation:

Cassy said rubbing her head, "Thanks for putting Malauge to sleep."

"Where's your mom?" He had asked.

"Jail, I have to go to the police station to bail her out, stay here with Malauge."

I stay in the tent, quiet and patient as Cass took out a hand full of money.

"No, Cass, I'll bail her out. How much money do you have there?"

"Two grand almost three. I work Night shifts," she wearily said her voice strung from a lack of sleep.

"I have more than enough money. I'll bail her out, while you keep your money and spend it on candy or something fourteen-year-olds like."

"I spend it on bills, clothes, food, and Malauge's health benefits. I don't have the money to waste on childish things like candy." There's silence for a while then she said, "Fine, I'll do the laundry. I'll wait for you to bail Mama out. Oh, and I got food for Mally to eat for breakfast tomorrow before she goes to school."

And all my little nine-year-old mind could grasp was, Cass plus thousand dollars equals a trip to California.

I go back to my area of the tent and snuggled up with the blankets and pillows and whispered to myself, "California."

I wake up to Uncle Kimmy shaking me, "Wake up, Indie."

"Uggggg. No. It's six o'clock in the morning," I groan as he mocks me. "Haha, real mature."

"Well, it got you to get up."

"No."

"Come on, we're gonna be late."

"How, I don't have school."

"I know, honey, it's the family reunion. I told you, remember?"

"Oh," I sluggishly get up. "Fiinnneee, I'll get dressed."

"Okay, I'll close the door and get, okay?"

"Yeah," I yawn so exhausted by sleep.

I get dressed in a baggy, pink sweatshirt with some print on it to match Esmerelda. We skipped school yesterday and we went to the mall to just walk around, we went thrifting, we also got hot coffee because it's super cold here in Tennessee. It's like winter way before every other state, I feel like. I'm just hoping Cassy never finds out. I hope it's a secret that lies with me in my grave buried 6 feet deep underneath the ground and everything on it.

Cass comes into my room, "Come on. Are you riding with me or with someone else?"

"Well, since you're a trader, I'm riding with someone else."

She sighs a miserable sigh, "Hurry up."

I slide my shoes on and slump over walking out the door.

About three hours later, we arrive at a little house with bricks on the front of it. Uncle Kimmy parked on the road because they have rocks as the driveway.

During the whole family reunion, I looked for Mayson but had no luck. I even started searching for his sisters until Uncle Kimmy asks "Do you know the red-head talking to Cass?"

I nod.

"She's your mom's sister."

The woman's heavyset, and had curly hair that hugs around her round face. She has freckles all over and has a thick country accent. I shyly walk over to them talking about how I apparently stuck my stuffed bear in a potty on my fourth birthday.

"You's grown sumuch!" She pulls me into a tight hug.

"Yeah, this is our Aunt Lucy," Cassy says.

She finally lets me go. A tiny brown-haired girl with tight clothes comes out of a room while I see the little boy disappear into the sofa. " Amilla, what in the hell'r ya wearin'?"

Amilla scoffs, "Mama."

"Don't Mama me, get'cha ass upind'r and get su'clothes own!"

She goes back into her room and comes out in a hoodie. It's black and white, I think it's kinda cute! "Mama, wha's these people in'r?"

"Because they's helpn' us move the shit with the shit."

Their accents are so thick I can barely hear them. I want to ask her where did you get the hoodie from, but I'm too scared. I just stand there, completely invisible to the naked eye. Man, I already miss how it used to be, not any of this shit. You don't know what you have until it's gone, I guess, but not during my sophomore year. I feel like crying into an endless black hole.