Competitive <3

This was the last straw for James. He couldn't handle anymore of the younger Black brothers teasing. All Regulus did was make snide and sarcastic comments about him, and he was on James last nerve.

Meanwhile, Regulus was getting quite a kick out of watching James grow more and more frustrated with his taunts. He'd watch proudly as James face grew red and his gaze hardened. Watched how he set his jaw and bit his tongue as to not lash out at his best friends little brother.

But he knew he had gone a little too far this time. This time, James was clearly struggling to bite his tongue. His eyes were sharp, trailed on Regulus silently.

A tense moment passed and neither of them made any movement.

"What did you just say?" James spoke, breaking the silence. Regulus nearly jumped at James words. They were full of restrained anger, and through gritted teeth. James continued to look at Regulus expectantly, daringly, waiting for him to repeat himself.

"I said," Regulus started, clearing his throat, "that you're a rubbish quidditch player and you're only on the team because your daddy has money."

So Regulus decided to hold his ground.
'I had given him a chance to back down,' James thought to himself, slowly crossing his arms over his chest.

Regulus froze. His carefully curated smirk waned under the fear of the upcoming reaction from James. He watched silently as James crossed his arms over his chest, raising an eyebrow.

James shook his head, as if in disbelief. "Regulus Black. The lesser Black brother," he started maliciously, taking a step towards Regulus. "The second heir to the family name. Always in second place, aren't you Reg?"

He'd struck a nerve. James watched as Regulus flinched and took a step back, looking wounded. His fists curled and released slowly and James felt a pang of guilt in his chest.

Regulus had never seen James act like this. His warm eyes turned cold and steely, his face stoic as he took another step towards Regulus.

"James," Regulus stated, his voice shaking a bit.

James showed no sign of hearing Regulus. He took another step towards Regulus, and another, continuing this pattern until he backed Regulus against the wall.

Moving slowly, James slid his hand under Regulus' chin, tilting the younger boys head up so he'd meet his eyes. Regulus' eyes were wide with fear now, and he shook with panic, anticipating pain.

All Regulus could do was look at James. He felt his warm, calloused hand under his chin, but all he could focus on was James gaze. He didn't realize he was shaking until recognition flickered through James' eyes and he pulled his hand back.

James took a couple steps backwards immediately, running a hand through his messy, dark hair. "Fuck. Reg, I'm sorry."

Regulus looked at him silently, giving James no indication of what was going on in his mind. 'Shit,' James thought miserably. He'd forgotten that Regulus had come from the same hell house that his best friend had. He'd seen the damage inflicted on Sirius, both physical and mental.

Regulus crossed his arms over his chest, more of a self comforting manner than an aggressive one. He watched as James seemed to internally argue with himself, pacing a bit and shaking his hands, periodically running one through his hair.

Cautiously, Regulus spoke up. "James. It's okay," he murmured quietly, stopping James in his tracks.

"Regulus, seriously. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"James. I had it coming. I should be the one apologizing."

"No, no, no," James protested immediately, taking another step towards Regulus. "You don't have to apologize. I overreacted, I didn't mean to scare you-"