Swollen Knuckles </3

James set his jaw hard as he watched Regulus strolled across the room and plopped himself on to the seat next to Evan Rosier, practically sitting on him.

This wasn't fair. James clenched his fists, taking a deep breath in. He felt a sturdy hand on his back suddenly.

"Prongs? You okay?" Remus asked quietly, careful not to draw attention to James' plight. Sirius and Peter were still horsing around noisily, throwing pieces of pork chop at the Slytherins.

"Mhm," James hummed angrily, not tearing his eyes away from the two slytherin boys.

"James,"  Remus said again, his voice firmer but still quiet. "Don't."

James just swallowed hard in response. Remus' scarred hand stayed heavy on James' shoulder, practically pinning him in place.

Remus could feel James vibrating under his hand, eager to let out that pent up energy.

James' left leg bounced uncontrollably, and he gripped the edge of the table so hard that his knuckles turned white.

Remus sighed, keeping a hand on James' shoulder while he bent over to tell Sirius that him and James were heading out for a walk. Barely phased, Sirius kept throwing porkchops.

Remus grabbed James by the forearm and hauled him up with his crazy werewolf strength.

James' mild protests were ignored as Remus led him down the hall.

"Moony, what the hell are you - whoa!"

Remus shoved James into an empty room.

"Where are we?"

"The room of requirement," Remus answered quietly, finally releasing his hold on James, who instantly swung his free arms.

He watched silently as Remus sat down on a wooden bench and pulled a duffle bag out from under it.

"Uh Moony? You're not gonna murder me and dispose of my body, are you?" James joked nervously, looking around the unfamiliar room.

Remus quirked a half smile back. "No," he replied, beginning to wrap his hands, "but I figured I'd do you a favour."

James raised an eyebrow as he watched Remus slowly wrap his hands with athletic tape.

"What do you mean?" James finally asked, breaking the silence.

Remus huffed frustratedly and put his hands on his knees as he stood up. "Do you want to talk about your feelings James?"

James didn't answer.

"No, you want to kick Rosier's ass. So, we're gonna put that energy somewhere else."

"Are you coming on to me?" James teased, covering up the heat rising to his face. Remus had him figured out.

Remus flipped on the actual lights to illuminate the room. It was still pretty empty, but there was a punching bag in the middle of the room.

"What...?"

"If you tell anyone about this, I'll deny it. But sometimes I like to come here and...unwind."

"...Are you secretly a badass?"

Remus chuckled at that and gestured James over. "Come on. I'll wrap your hands."

James reluctantly thrust his hands forward and Remus wrapped them the same way as his own. James watched his graceful fingers work.

"Alright. Watch my form," Remus ordered, shifting his weight to demonstrate for James.

After a few minutes, Remus stepped out of the way and gestured for James to try.

It didn't last five seconds before Remus was correcting his stance, his form, and his technique.

"Moony," James sighed, exasperated.

"Okay just...move your right hand- yes! Good job!"

Remus watched, falling silent as James' punches grew stronger, quicker.

James' breath grew heavier and his face grew red, sweat slowly dampening his dark hair.

"James."

If James heard Remus, he ignored him.

"James."

This time, James movement stopped. He panted, leaning forward against the punching bag and pressing his sweaty forehead against it.

"I shouldn't be jealous. He's not even mine," James panted out, his voice quiet. He punched the bag again, hard before reeling his hand back. "Fuck!"

Remus froze and quickly walked over to James, grabbing his hand. "Let me see."

"It's fine. I'm fine. It's my own fault."

"Prongs," Remus sighed, guiding him over to the bench and sitting him down. He slowly stretched James' hand with his own, unwrapping the tape cautiously.

James' knuckles looked mangled and we're beginning to swell, causing James to lean back against the wall and look at the ceiling. He inhaled sharply.

"You're alright. Listen, I'll wrap your hand up. This is why we use proper form."

James snickered. Even sympathetic, Remus couldn't help but sneak in a lesson.

His snickers quickly turned into a gasp of pain as Remus stretched his sore hand.

"Sorry," Remus murmured, "hang in there."

James choked back a whimper of pain but Remus caught it. "Tell me about Regulus."

James smiled softly, looking at the ceiling again. "He's...He's perfect."

Remus hummed in response, focusing on James' battered hand still.

"He's so handsome. And he smells like fresh rain. He likes to read, you'd get along..." James trailed off and gasped in pain again.

"Go on." Remus began wrapping the gauze around James' knuckles.

"He's smart. Book smart, but also quick-witted. What he lacks in height, he makes up for in sarcasm. He plays piano, and sleeps with socks on...I really like him, Moons."

Remus sighed and patted James knee in his signature motherly fashion, sitting up beside him in the bench.

James rested his hand on his leg carefully and looked at Remus.

"I hate it."

"What?"

"How much I like him."

Remus smiled softly at James, empathetic. "You know alot about him," he prompted gently, nudging James.

"I spent months with him. I should.",

Remus cocked an eyebrow with surprise. "So that's why you're so jealous?"

"It wasn't my idea to end it," James murmured, rubbing his forehead with his good hand. "But it was a smart one. It would never work."

"What do you mean?"

"He's the Slytherin heir. Sirius' brother. Nothing about it could have worked out for us...I know that. So why do I feel so sad?"

That hit hard. Remus wrapped his arms around James, envelopping him in a tight hug.

"I'm sorry James. I'm so sorry."

"It's fine. It's how it is," James responded, resigned. Remus only shook his head, pulling away to meet James' eyes.

"Don't fight with Rosier. I'm here for you, whenever you need. And once your hand heals, if you want to punch it out..."

"You'll share your secret room with me?"

The smile returned to Remus' face.
"Yeah James. I'll share my secret room with you."

(1070 words - I like this one bettee than the last. You know the drill with requests :))
-T