He Knows

"I could drown myself in a bottle of expensive wine?"

The suggestion was playful but James' heart still ached for Regulus. His poor boy was already dreading the upcoming week at home for Christmas holiday.

The two boys were sitting on the couch in the Gryffindor common room, Reg pushed up against James' side as James stroked his hair.

"You're sure you can't stay here? Or come home with me?" James asked tentatively.

"Not if I want to live to see next Christmas," Regulus sighed, shifting and adjusting his position a bit to look at James.

James' face was pale, and he was chewing on his bottom lip, a nervous habit Regulus had picked up on during OWL's season.

Quickly, Regulus pulled James close and kissed him, tugging on his bottom lip and making James chuckle into the kiss.

"I was just thinking how I could do that for you. The biting your lip thing?" Regulus' grin made James' heart melt.

"Sorry sweetheart," he murmured softly, leaning down to kiss Regulus again when he heard a loud cough from the door.

Sirius.

It clicked for Regulus before James, as the younger boy scrambled up into a more defensive position, beginning to rapidly explain himself. Sirius held up a finger, silencing Reg.

"Potter. A word."

"Sirius," Regulus started nervously, but stopped short at the warning look on Sirius' face.

"I'll deal with you in a moment Regulus Arcturus Black."

Regulus watched helplessly as James followed Sirius out of the common room and into their dormitory.

Meanwhile, James was shaking in his damn boots.

Sirius was pacing infront of him now as he sat on the bed, looking at the floor.

"Padfoot-"

"Don't 'Padfoot' me!" Sirius' curled fists didn't escape James' notice.

Slowly, James stood up and set his hands on Sirius' shoulders. "Listen mate," he started patiently, "I really like him."

"James," Sirius drawled exasperatedly. "He's my brother."

"I know. I'm sorry," James said sheepishly, looking away.

Sirius tapped his foot and ran a hand through his messy hair. "You're not messing with him?"

"No Pads, I really like him. Honest. And hey," James grinned playfully, nudging Sirius, "this could mean we're brothers in law."

Sirius resisted the urge to smile. "My little brother, James!"

"He's only a year younger Siri-"

"A baby!"

"Sirius."

Sirius grinned. "Okay. But I hope you know, I'm never gonna let you live this one down."

"I wouldn't expect you too."

"And you can't tell Moony cause I'll lose five galleons."

"Pads," James laughed, shaking his head. His stomach settled, his nerves deserting him. His best friend knew. He was okay. They were okay.

Sirius turned towards the door. "I guess we should give Regulus proof of life before he kicks the door down."

"Sirius," James blurted suddenly, stopping Sirius, who turned to face him. The bespectacled boy threw his arms around Sirius tightly.

Sirius hugged him back tightly.
"Were you worried Prongs?"

"Never," James murmured into Sirius' should before pulling away and rubbing his eyes.

"Okay. Let's talk to Regulus."

Regulus was back sitting on the couch, tapping his foot anxiously. He stopped short and stood up when James and Sirius entered.

"I don't want to see you two kissing or anything infront of me. No PDA, I mean it," Sirius ordered mockingly, pointing a finger at Reggie, who just nodded rapidly.

Sirius smiled a bit and raised an eyebrow. "A Potter, little bro? Really?"

"You're not gonna tell...right?"

Regulus' voice was meek now, his hands shaking as he looked at the floor.

Sirius' grin faltered. "Of course not Reggie. C'mere."

Regulus allowed himself to be pulled into a hug by Sirius for the first time in months. Sirius rested his chin on the smaller boys head. "I've got your back, little bro. I promise."

James smiled to himself, crossing his arms over his chest as he watched the reunion.

"Take care of eachother, yeah?" James asked, stepping forward to ruffle Regs hair. "The holiday reunion. You both matter so much to me and I couldn't handle if anything happened to you."

"We'll be safe Prongs," Sirius grinned, clapping James on the back half-heartedly. "Don't worry

700 words :) I'm sorry, I honestly am ridiculously tired and did the editing really late so if there's any mistakes...just pretend there isn't ;). I'm honestly surprised how many people have read this lol, so thank you to everyone reading and if you have any suggestions, questions or requests, feel free to message or comment them:)
-T