Nightmares

Regulus Black padded down the empty halls of Hogwarts, his bare feet silent on the cold floor. No student, nor ghost was around at this hour and he was enjoying the peace and quiet for once.

The creaks of the old school didn't bother him. He listened to the sound of the rain hitting the windows, and the occasional snore from one of the paintings.

His starry pajama pants were dragging on the floor, a hand-me-down from Sirius, no doubt. His t-shirt clung to his pale skin, sticky with sweat. Reg ran a hand through his damp hair distractedly and then he heard it.

It was a different sound, not like the creaks in the structure, or the rains constant pitter-patter. It was footsteps.

As soon as Regulus identified the sound, James Potter had turned the corner, spotting him. "Potter," Regulus grumbled to himself, stilling and tapping his foot as James approached him.

James slippers hit the floor less than gently and his gray t-shirt was loose, disguising his muscled torso. He was in boxers, making blood rush to Reg's face, and was setting his round glasses on his nose.

"What's going on Reggie?" James asked, slight concern elevating his tone. He adjusted his glasses, a nervous tic Reg had picked up on a few weeks back.

"I've asked you not to call me that," Regulus responded exasperatedly, avoiding the question with tact that he silently applauded himself for.

Unfortunately, James saw right through it.

"Right, sorry. Why are you awake?"

"Couldn't sleep," Reg replied, rubbing his eyes tiredly and shifting a bit.

James raised an eyebrow patiently, looking Regulus over. Regulus squirmed under James inquisitive gaze, looking at the floor, the wall, anything but James.

James had seen all this before and it broke his heart. He'd seen the nervousness, the sweat soaked pajamas. The wandering past dark. He'd seen it all on his best friend. And it was all a product of the Black house.

Regulus cleared his throat and pushed a hand through his dark hair again, finally focusing on James. "Well, Potter? Go on now, back to bed."

"You have them too, don't you?" James asked cautiously, taking a step towards Regulus.

Reg froze. 'Shit,' he thought, panicked. His secret was out. James knew. It was over.

"What are you babbling about?" Regulus said impatiently, rolling his eyes. "I've got to get back to bed to try and sleep so make it quick."

"You have nightmares too."

Yeah, he was screwed. James knew. Regulus tried to compose himself quickly but it was too late.

James had seen the fear the flickered over the boys face. Carefully, he took another step towards Regulus.

"Does your brother know?"

"No! No James, he doesn't and he doesn't need to know."

Regulus was raising his voice now, losing composure rapidly.

"Shhh," James whispered softly, putting a finger to his lips. "It's okay. You should talk to Sirius-"

"I don't want to talk to Sirius!"

Regulus' tone was more of a heated whisper now, knowing very well how much trouble they'd be in if they got caught.

James sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Reg..."

"Leave me alone James."

"You should talk to someone, Reg. It doesn't have to be your brother but please. Let someone help you."

"I don't need help," he retorted coldly. Immidiantly, a pang of guilt struck him as he saw the crestfallen look on the other boy's face.

"Okay...get some sleep Reggie," James smiled weakly.

James started to turn, ready to give up on this useless pursuit when he heard Regs quiet voice.

"Sirius has them too?"

Regulus will never know what possessed him to talk to James Potter about his problems. He'd like to blame lack of sleep, James' stupid face, or his inexperience with someone actually giving a damn, but whatever it was had him spilling his guts to James.

"Yeah...he probably wouldn't want me to talk about it too much. You should talk to him-"

"Nevermind Potter," Regulus snapped suddenly, causing James to immediately backtrack.

"No, no. Come on. Let's go sit in the library, okay?"

Something about James, the thing that probably frustrated Reg the most, was how easy it was for him to get Reg to do as he asked.

Regulus followed James down the corridor silently, all the way to the library where the doors were unlocked with a quick flick of a wand and a whispered spell.

James sat down on one of the velvety couches, leaning back comfortably while Reg sat himself on a nearby table, crossing his ankles and straightening his posture.

"So...you're having trouble sleeping?"
James tone was cautious, carefully prodding for information as not to scare Regulus off.

"Mhm."

"About your family?"

"Sure."

"Reg,' James said exhaustively, putting his head in his hands. "You've got to give me more than that. Whats going on?"

"What do you want me to say James!? That I dream of my fucked up home-life? That I wake up screaming at least twice a week? That I can't sleep because I'm afraid of my unconscious!? That doesn't even make sense, how can someone be afraid of their own mind?!"

James waited for Regulus to finish, to calm a bit. When Regulus finally deflated, James stood up and wrapped the other boy in his arms.

There was no protests.  After a moment, Regulus' arms found their way around Jame's waist and a sob tore from his throat.

James felt his heart break. He felt it shatter, peircing his lungs and stealing the air from his body. 

"It's okay," he whispered, hearing another sob into his shirt. "Let it out."

Slowly, James led Regulus to the couch as Reg started to calm, still keeping his arm wrapped around the sniffling boy.

"You're okay. I promise."

"Fuck, I'm sorry James, you don't need this-"

"Reg, I want to be here for you."

"If you tell anyone about this Potter-"

Regulus threat fell short when James started stroking his hair and hushing him.
"I won't tell anyone. I promise."

"Not even Sirius?" Regulus asked, his voice softer.

"Not even Sirius," James agreed and Reg collapsed into him again. James ran his fingers through his tangled hair gently, humming under his breath.

"What are you doing?" Regulus asked, his voice still quiet. James' fingers froze. "Sorry... Remus does this to help Sirius sleep sometimes. I can stop."

"No...it's okay," Regulus responded, blush creeping up his face.

James smiled to himself and began pulling his fingers back through Reg's hair.

A couple minutes of silence passed before Regulus' soft snores started. James couldn't help the grin that spread across his face at the sight of Regulus snuggled into him and fast asleep. He leaned back on the couch comfortably and closed his eyes, finally allowing sleep to take hold. Neither of the two budged until morning.

(1155 words! I am so so so sorry it took so long, some ultimate power took a dump on my life and I'm three assignments behind but also Jegulus 🥰)