Stress <3

It was a bright day, light flooding the busy halls of Hogwarts. Everyone was in a peppy mood, excited for the upcoming holiday break.

Naturally, everyone's good mood only aggravated Regulus further. He and his siblings were both moody, the approaching holiday setting a damper on the festive season.

Sirius took to cuddling close to Remus' side, allowing the taller boy to soothe his anxiety. He was often seen attached to Moony and when he wasn't, his pencil was flying against the notebook he was carrying.

Regulus took a different approach, pushing away Evan and Barty when they tried to engage him. He sat in his classes, disassociated, a frown dragging his lips down.

James watched the effect the Black House had on both his best friend and the younger heir. When Sirius wasn't around to distract, his attention went to his boyfriend, Regulus.

This time wasn't any different. Remus and Sirius were off for a final Hogsmeade trip, and James was left alone in potions, along with a few other acquaintances and Reg. 

James stood up from his seat while Slughorn had his back turned and slid across the room silently, plopping himself down next to Regulus.

Regulus didn't look up from his book. His potion work was completed in front of him, unsurprisingly perfect.

"Regulus," James whispered, poking his arm. He didn't look up from the book.

"Reggggg. Reggie," James teased, still poking him.

Regulus slammed his book shut. "What?"

"Can you help me? I don't understand the homework."

"James you have perfect grades in potions."

"C'mon," James drawled exasperatedly, "I don't understand this bit."

"What part?" Regulus sighed, giving in and running a hand through his hair. James pointed with his quill and Reg read it over silently.

James watched as Regulus' eyes scanned over the page. He knew exactly how to do that question. He excelled at potions. But Regulus needed something to do.

By the end of Reg's mini-lesson, he was smiling a bit. "Do you understand?" He asked, chewing on the end of James' quill.

"Much better - thanks so much Regulus," James smiled, winking.

Reg quickly picked up his book to hide his reddening face and nodded in response, clearing his throat a bit.

James noticed this anyway and snuck back to his seat, placing his chin in his hand and smiling absentmindedly.

A couple of days later, James was watching Regulus yell at some first-year for spilling ink on his assignment, berating him loudly. Students gawked as the usually quiet, mild-tempered Regulus lost his temper.

James reacted quickly, gliding over to where Regulus was standing and slid an arm around his shoulder, smiling. "That's okay Dal," he smiled cheerily at the first year, "Regulus can have my sheet."

Regulus shook James' arm off him and glared at the boy, biting his lip to avoid lashing out at James.

"James, you can't give me your sheet. You need it for your assignment,' he responded, his voice filled with strained patience.

"It's no biggie," James smiled, handing Regulus his sheet. Regulus sighed and walked over to where James had been sitting alone. He plopped himself in the seat next to where James' stuff was as James began helping clean up the ink.

After a minute, James and his ink-stained hands slid into his seat again, looking bored. "Babe," he whispered to Reg, who rolled his eyes and slid his paper over to James, at least letting him copy the answers on some blank parchment.