Voices <3

Here's a warning. Maybe a bit sad. Maybe a bit scary.

"Regulus!" James' hoarse voice tore through the pattern of rain on the stone pathways.

The silence in the air was heavy. James' throat ached in protest to his hollering in the cold, damp weather.

James was exhausted. He had been doing rubbish in quidditch all week, the OWLs were coming up, and he was arguing with Sirius. And now his perfect, sweet boyfriend who was just the unlucky target of his frustration, had stormed off into the forbidden forest at 11 pm.

"Reggie!" James ran a hand through his hair, causing water to trickle down his cheeks more rapidly. His feet stayed planted in the mud at the edge of the forbidden forest. 

The trees looked lifeless and ominous against the dark sky. The wind whistled through empty branches and the rain soaked the dirt path, making everything slippery.

This was all his fault. He'd lost his shit and snapped at Regulus one too many times when Reg was just trying to help.

James remembered how his stomach sank as he watched the color drain from Regulus' face before the boy's expression hardened and he turned away, stalking out of the room.

And now James was standing in the pouring rain, shivering and trying to work up the nerve to enter the forbidden forest.

After another minute of hesitation and more panicked thoughts rolled in, James swallowed his anxiety and stepped passed the threshold and into the forest.

Immediately, James' felt some pressure ease off his chest. He took a few cautious steps forward, noticing a clear pattern of footsteps in the mud. Frantic footsteps.

James took a deep breath as more water dripped from his soaked hair. He heard a soft noise somewhere to the left of the path, stilling completely so he could listen.

The voice seemed to be calling him. James' heart jumped to his throat when he recognized Sirius' voice in the dark woods.
Which couldn't be possible, James reminded himself silently, Sirius was in the hospital wing with Remus tonight.

As James listened closer, he noticed something...different about the voice. It was distorted. James couldn't place exactly what it was, but he knew something about it was wrong.

Slowly, he turned to continue walking down the path. The moment he turned his attention away from the woods, Sirius' pained cry rang out. James froze and forcefully grabbed a nearby tree, holding himself back. It wasn't Sirius. It was not Sirius. He had to remember that.

James managed to resume walking, trying to ignore the sounds the forest made around him. He walked for a few more minutes before he reached a clearing. A battered bridge lay over a dark river of water. The water spilled down from a tiny structure of rocks and flooded down the trench.

James heard a soft whimper off to the side and stiffened. "Oh for Merlin's sake," he muttered to himself, "let it be Reg." 

When James turned, hesitantly, he saw Regulus sitting on a rock by the lake, clutching his ankle. His shirt sleeve was drenched in blood but he was still holding it against his wound.

"Reggie?" James asked softly. Regulus didn't even look up.

"Go away," he begged softly.

"Reg...I'm so sorry. I don't have an excuse, I shouldn't have raised my voice," James rambled weakly, watching Regulus' body language stiffen.

"James?!" He asked sharply, looking up abruptly. His entire face flooded with relief when he saw James, looking like a drowned rat but standing in front of him.

Regulus was off the rock and into James' arms so fast that James could barely process it. Reg favored his injured ankle, leaning a decent amount of his weight onto James.

"Are you okay?"

"Don't let go," Reg whispered into James' shirt, "please."

"I've got you Reg," James promised softly, wrapping his arm around his boy gently.

"Can you hear them?" Regulus asked, his voice barely above a whisper. James held him tighter instinctively, looking around the dark forest absentmindedly.

"What?" He asked suddenly, focusing his attention back on the shaken boy.

"The voices," Regulus whispered feverishly, indignant that James wasn't paying enough attention. James welcomed Reg's tone, glad that he was coming down from the fear enough to be annoyed with James.

"Come on," James murmured, ignoring the question and looping Regulus' arm around his shoulder to support him as he hobbled forward. Regulus didn't press, focusing more on keeping his feet from slipping.

The two began a slow walk back down the trail. They only made it 50 meters before Regulus stiffened and froze. James stopped too, supporting Regulus's left side.

"No...no no no," Regulus whispered, his eyes wide. "It's Barty."

James couldn't hear anything but by the way Regulus flinched and instinctively went to cover his ears, James knew. His grasp on Regulus tightened slightly before he heard something.

Regulus noticed instantly when James sharpened. "Who is it, love?" Reg asked quietly, rubbing the back of James' hand with his thumb.

James didn't say anything, focused on the darkness between the trees that called out for him.

"James. Talk to me," Regulus ordered, his tone still quiet. The roles reversed, Reg's hand tightening its grip on James. Barty's voice has stopped, and instead changed to something to lure James off the path.

"My mum," James whispered suddenly, not taking his eyes off the woods as he forced his feet to move forward. Regulus moved with him slowly.

When the two got to the end of the path and back out of the forest, the relief was loud and clear, in both the form of sighs and collapsing shoulders. 

Cautiously, they made their way up to James' empty dorm, Regulus groaning dramatically in discomfort the entire time.

When they made it, Regulus sat down on the edge of the bed with another loud groan, looking at James.

"Regulus, your clothes are wet," James complained half-heartedly while ransacking his drawers for something dry. He tossed some plaid pajama pants at Regulus, along with a soft gray t-shirt. "Go change into dry clothes."

Regulus hobbled to the bathroom slowly with the clothes laid over his arm. As soon as the door closed, James stripped off his cold, damp clothes and changed into some warm pajamas.

When Regulus reappeared, noticeably red, James had already slid under the covers. Reg tossed the pajama pants at James, embarrassed. "They're too big," he muttered, biting the inside of his cheek and not looking at James. He nervously tugged the hem of James' much too-large shirt.

"Sorry..." James responded softly. He didn't look it, his eyes trailing down Reg's pale legs. "How's your ankle?"

"Sore," Regulus responded exasperatedly, climbing into bed next to James for warmth.

"I'm so sorry Reggie." James' voice was quiet.

"It's okay. It's not a big deal."

"I shouldn't have snapped at you.'

"I know. But you've had a long week and I should have given you space when you asked," Regulus responded evenly, shifting closer to James.

James slowly laid an arm around Regulus, moving with deliberate laziness and making sure he didn't start Reg.

Reg snuggled closer to James, making him blush this time as he held Regulus tighter and indulged him, allowing Reg to put his cold feet against James' warm legs.

After a short while, the two fell asleep in each other's arms, finally warm under the many blankets and in each other's embrace.

(1250 words - I'm so sorry my loves, I've literally been so busy with school. I swear I'm going to try to write more again, I miss writing about these two lovebirds. Send any requests or ideas to me :) - T)