Panic Attacks

(Bit of a trigger warning for this one. Anxiety, and panic attacks.)

The party was in full swing with students dancing around, dressed in their fanciest clothes in the Hogwarts ballroom. It was bustling with activity, and despite it being past 11pm, everyone was full of energy.

That was, everyone except James.

James had already had a busy day with quidditch, potions, and other social interactions throughout the day. He made it halfway through the ball before slinking off into the corner to sit down and watch the others dance.

Sirius watched as his best friend disappeared into the shadows. He knew to keep a close eye, but he also knew James' social battery was probably low and he needed a break from the noise and people.

What Sirius didn't notice was his little brother Regulus, in another corner of the room, pale and sweaty.

Regulus, who barely had a social battery to begin with, was done with this social function and done with the swarming crowd of students.

James watched amused from his corner as teenagers got a little too daring, a little too close, and we're quickly reprimanded by Professor McGonagall.

Regulus couldn't focus on anything. The lights were too bright and the music too loud...he could feel himself start to lose his grip.

Meanwhile, James spotted Regulus from across the room. His best friends little brother, who was dark and mysterious, and undeniably handsome. But he didn't look too confident right now.

James managed to cut through the crowd and get to Regulus.

"Reg? You okay?"

All Regulus could do was shake his head and grab at his chest, attempting to take a deep breath.

James kicked into action, leading Regulus out of the ballroom with ease. They stopped in the quiet hall, a fair distance away from the crowded dance. The music thrummed much softer now and Regulus could hear himself think.

He could hear himself think just enough to be self conscious about James freakin' Potter seeing him like this. Weak. Needy. Regulus was still fighting to take a deep breath, sliding down the wall and onto his ass, knees tucked up to his chest.

James ran a hand through his hair before shoving them back in his pockets. "Are you alright?"

Regulus shook his head again.

"Is there anything I can do?"

Once again, Regulus shook his head.
James slowly slid down the wall besides Regulus, setting a hand in his knee.

Regulus focused on the warmth from James' hand, keeping his hand splayed on his chest and attempting to slow his breathing.

Eventually, Regulus managed to calm down enough to get a full breath. That's when the embarrassment set it.

Regulus quickly stood up, brushing James off and clearing his throat.

"All right?" James asked cautiously.

Forever cool and collected, James freakin' Potter. Regulus felt the heat rise to his face. He nodded in response and started down the hall.

"Reg, wait!" James called after him, his voice concerned. That only aggravated Regulus more.

"Piss off James," Regulus snapped, continuing down the hall without turning around.

"You had a panic attack Reg! You really wanna go back to that party?"

Regulus stopped short. No. No he didn't. But he also didn't want to admit James was right so he opened the door to the room and stepped back into the loud environment.