A Wise Wolf and Cigarettes <3

Regulus was perched on the edge of the astronomy tower. It was early, early enough for the sky to be shaded with a dark violet hue that was lightening with the sunrise.

The autumn weather was crisp and the colorful leaves covered the ground like a blanket. Empty branches swayed with the slight wind.

Regulus pulled his jumper closer to his torso. It was chilly enough out, especially at this altitude. But Regulus wasn't going to have alot of chance for peace and quiet around the busy halls of back to school so he was gonna take what he could get.

He twirled a lit cigarette between his two fingers. A habit he couldn't seem to break, despite the havoc it was probably wrecking on his lungs.

He slowly took another drag, letting the nicotine fill his lungs and sooth the tension throughout his body.

Sirius would kill him. Despite Sirius' smoking to look cool, the hypocrite would still have his little brothers head on a stick for doing the same.

Regulus remembers the first time he lit up a cigarette, stolen from his brothers room one holiday. He had snuck up onto the room of the manor and damn near coughed a lung out trying to look like his older brother.

Walburga had smelled it on him, ripped him a new one. He still had the scar.

Absentmindedly, Regulus ran his hand over his inner forearm as he watched the sun begin to peak over the trees.

The loud bang of the door startled him and he jumped a good foot, his heart stopping. He grabbed the pillar near him to keep him from going over the edge.

He turned towards the door, ready to berate whatever first year had disturbed his peace, when he saw a familiar face. Remus Lupin.

"Sorry mate," Remus said softly, putting his hands into the pockets of his trousers. "I didn't figure anyone would be up yet."

Regulus just waved him off, turning back to look at the sky as the stars faded with the sun's arrival.

Regulus inhaled again, allowing the cigarette to put him back at ease. He heard a lighter flick somewhere near him and watched as Remus lit his own cigarette, settling on the ledge a few meters away.

The two sat in silence for a while before eventually, Remus picked up his lighter and pack of cigarettes, waved half heartedly at Regulus, and disappeared inside.

A week or so later, Regulus was back up in the astronomy tower and listening to soft music as he let his thoughts drift.
(The French Library - Franz Gordon)

He dressed warmer this time, bunded up in his emerald green jumper, a Slytherin hat, and thin black gloves.

Gracefully, he withdrew a cigarette from his pocket, along with his wand. He ignited it quickly and sighed with relief as he felt the nicotine enter his bloodstream.

Remus slammed open the door to the astronomy tower, seeming to not notice Regulus, as he began pacing the floor, wringing his hands together.

"You alright?" Regulus asked from his perch, raising an eyebrow at the distressed boy.

Remus' head snapped towards Regulus, startled. "Yeah," he managed weakly, forcing a tentative smile, "I'm alright."

Regulus offered his cigarette silently to Remus, hoping to still the older boys' restlessness.

Remus gratefully took the smoke and sat perched across from Regulus, inhaling sharply. His face visibly relaxed.

"Do you...wanna talk about it?" Reg asked softly, lighting up another cigarette.