Possessive <3

Request: daryja08 <3

Soft music floated through the Slytherin common room, coming from the record player in the corner.

The lights were dim in the basement dungeon, creating a calm atmosphere in the room. The air was damp, but the fireplace raged on and kept the students warm.

It was unusually quiet for a Tuesday evening. Regulus was curled up on the couch, James' head in his lap as he read aloud softly.

"I like that one," James smiled quietly from Regulus' lap, eyes still closed.He was referring to a quote that Regulus had just gone over. Regulus startled a little, thinking James had finally drifted off.

"I know you do love," Regulus replied, keeping his voice quiet. "Why are you still awake?"

"I didn't want to miss this chapter," James murmured groggily, causing Regulus to grin as his tired boyfriend.

"You're cute when you're tired," Regulus stated factually,  enjoying the blush that rose to his sleepy boyfriends freckled face.  

Regulus continued reading, cautiously holding his book with one hand, using  his free hand to stroke James' hair.

James drifted off to Motzarts piano and Regulus' voice, his breathing leveling out and his heartbeat slowing.

After a comfortable hour and Regulus' legs lost complete sensation, James awoke to Regulus talking quietly 

He opened his eyes, rubbing them tiredly as he adjusted to the bright lights of the room. James pulled himself into a sitting position, looking around at the familiar faces 

Evan Rosier and Barty Crouch were staring at him, lips drawn into a frown. Evan's arms were crossed defensively, raising an eyebrow.

"Hey James," Regulus nudged James shoulder, grabbing his hand. "I guess now is as good a time as any. Evan, Barty... this is James. My boyfriend."

"We gathered," Evan said tightly, glaring at James.

"All the sneaking around, the secretive looks," Barty elaborated, looking slightly less threatening than Evan, but not much. 

"Great, well," Regulus replied awkwardly, putting his hands on his knees to stand up, "I'm gonna go grab some tea."

James looked towards Regulus, petrified. "I'll be right back, my love," he said under his breath, pulling James' head towards him to kiss the top of his head.

Regulus disappeared from the room, leaving James sitting on the couch in front of Barty and Evans scrutiny.

"So, Potter," Evan started, his tone cold, "what exactly are your intentions with our Regulus?" 

"What? I-"

"Cause if it's anything that could possibly hurt him in any way," Evan grabbed James shirt and hauled him forward, "Barty and I will make you wish you were never born."

James gulped a bit but raised a challenging eyebrow. "Your Regulus?"

"Our Regulus," Evan repeated stoically, daring James to challenge him. 

James sighed, sitting up a bit straighter and folding his arms over his chest. "You better watch yourself, Rosier."

"Or what, Potter?" Evan taunted, his stance turning more rigid. James noticed Evans fists curling, and Bartys nervous shifting.

"Evan," Barty said warningly, setting a hand on his shoulder.

"Back off Rosier," James warned.  Things were escalating much quickly, the temptature in the room rising. "I don't want to do this with you."

"Coward," Evan scoffed.

With that remark, James stood up and socked Evan, sending him stumbling back a few feet 

Evan's eyes watered as blood dripped from his nose.

"Potter!" Barty shouted, but Evan was already getting his footing, and he struck back, planting a hard punch against James' jaw.

James spat out a bit of blood instinctively on the dungeon floor,  wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

Barty had his arms tightly around Evan, stopping him from continuing to hit James. Evan struggled furiously, but everyone in the room stilled when Regulus entered.

"What the hell is going on?!" He snapped, still taking a moment to gently set his tea on the table. James, who still looked like he was gearing up to hit Evan back, was quickly  restrained by a fridtrated Regulus.

Regulus leaned close and whispered in James' ear. "Are you gonna behave?"

James bit his inner cheek and swallowed his pride, nodding. Regulus released him but kept a firm hand on his shoulder.

"Does someone want to tell me what's going on?"

"Someone got a little possessive," Barty replied sheepishly, still holding on to Evan tightly.

"Someone? Or James and Evan?" Regulus prompted, knowing Barty wouldn't lie to him.

When Barty looked away guiltily, Regulus sighed. He grabbed James chin roughly, causing James to jump. Regulus quickly tilted James head towards him so they were face to face.

"I do not belong to you or anyone," he said warningly, in a tone that dared James to respond. When James looked down a bit, Regulus tilted his head back up. "I love you, and I want to marry you someday. But James," he started again, lowering his voice, "I dont want you fighting over me like I'm a toy that your friend stole on the playground."

James nodded, blushing slightly at the thought of marrying Regulus and a bit at the embarrassment of being put in his place.

"And you," Regulus snapped, focusing his attention on Evan now, "what were you thinking, picking a fight with my boyfriend?"

"I was only saying, you know, if James hurt you, we'd make him regret it..." Evan said quietly, looking at the floor.

Regulus sighed. "Idiot," he said affectionately,  shaking his head. He didn't mind his two best friends being protective of him, but he didn't want the most important people in his life fighting over him.

"You guys are going to be in each other's lives now. You've got to get along," Regulus ordered mockingly.

James was still looking at Regulus when he held out a hand to Evan.

Evan let out a sigh, and barty released him. Begrudgingly, Evan shook James' hand.

"Leave it to you to fall in love with the popular gryiffdor," he replied exasperatedly. Regulus winked at Evan, wiggling his eyebrows. "You're just jealous, Evan,"  he retorted.

"You wish," Barty piped up, his hand finding Evan's lower back. "We're the hottest hogwarts couple."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night."

(1015 words...I feel like writing something sad next. sorry in advance:")
-T)