Chapter 2- The phone call

"The serial killer from Yeongam Gurim serial murder case.... who died ten years ago"

"Then isn't he supposed to be dead...?"

"We can look into him later, for now, we need to save the person who called us. Minjun did you find the location yet?" Team leader Cha inquired 

"No, to track a call, it should last more than 30 seconds but the call was disconnected before that," He said and everyone groaned under their breath. Team leader Cha massaged his forehead before saying, 

"I'll go inform the chief about it. Minjun, find out about the owner of the phone number from where the call came from, Y/n and Jaemin trying calling that number once again and try to analyze the call... maybe we can get some clue from there" 

"Yes sir!" We said in union before doing the work we were assigned to. Team leader Cha immediately left the room to meet the chief, Minjun sunbae gave us a copy of the recording while he tried to find information about that phone number. Jaemin tried calling that number again while I listened to the recording again and again because it felt like we were missing something. 

"It just keeps ringing but no one picks it up," Jaemin said 

After listening to it thrice, I decided to play the recording at a slow speed and use headphones. 
"Hello? Gyeongju Police station... Help-p me please-e... he-e is trying-g to kill me-e... someone is trying to kill you?... Ma'am... can you recognize-" I stopped the recording and play that part again but at a slower speed and with more volume. Between the part where the lady said that someone was trying to kill her and Jaemin inquired if she knew the person or not, there was a sound in the background that was very faint and couldn't be heard at normal speed. 

"Jaemin, come here and listen to this," I said and made him listen to the recording at a slow speed and loud volume for him to notice the sound in the background. 

"Sunbae... that sound," He said making me nod

"I've heard a sound similar to this somewhere," I said 

"It was a periodic tone... so I think, it is from a machine and I think I've heard it somewhere too," Jaemin said. I closed my eyes trying to think about the place where I heard that sound.  
"Oppa.... are you free in the evening or do you have appointments?" 
"I have a few appointments... but they'll be over by 7"
"That's a relief...  then should we-"
'The current amount that you have to pay is 20 won'
"Oppa, I'll call you later... I don't have much money right now"
I opened my eyes as I remembered where I heard this sound. I looked at Jaemin and he seemed to have remembered something too.

"Y/n... Jaemin... I think the call was made from a...."

"Public telephone," The three of us said in unison.  

"Let's take a moment to analyze your and Jaemin's analyzing skills and my computer skills," Minjun sunbae said in a dramatic way

"But sunbae, I don't think the call was made from a public phone in Gyeongju because the ringtone is different in Gyeongju and it is also different for every town and village," I said. By this time, team leader cha was back and we explained everything to him.

"I'll have someone find out where this particular sound is used in telephone booths and it'll take time so there's nothing much we can do other than to wait"

[Time skip: 11:30 pm]

Entering the passcode on the door, I twisted the knob and opened the door. I let myself inside the house and closed the door behind me. Removing my shoes, I entered the living room and saw Jaehyun sitting on the sofa which was enough to make me smile. I kept my bag on a chair nearby and sat next to him.

"Why aren't you asleep yet?" I questioned looking at me

"How can I? When my wife is working hard" He said as I smiled and hugged him. He did not question anything instead he just hugged me back and kissed my forehead.

"Where's Ji-hun?" I asked

"I tucked her into bed. She missed you a lot" He said pecking my lips

"Tough day?" 

"No... it was a confusing day" I replied

"Confusing? Why?" 

"We received this call from a lady who said someone was trying to kill her"

"Kill her? Did you catch the culprit?" Jaehyun asked

"That is where the problem starts. When we asked if she recognized the person or not... she said that it was... Jeong Min-ho" The moment I said this, I saw his eyes slightly widen and the grip of his arm around me seemed to have loosened. He gulped before looking away. 

"Do you know about Jeong Min-ho?" I asked

"Huh? Ah-h... when I was in medical college-e... I once made a presentation-n on psychopaths... and I had-d included him-m... 'The Yeongam Gurim-m serial murder case-e'....his story-y was scary-y... but wasn't he shot-t dead by the police?" 

"That is what everyone knew until this phone call. Jeong Min-ho was shot when he was on a cliff and his body fell into the sea... his body was never found as there was a high tide that day but my question is... why after 10 years? He was a psychopath... then why did he wait for 10 years? And why now?" 

"Ah Y/n, you are stressing over it too much. Jeong Min-ho is dead, no one can survive a gunshot moreover he fell into the sea when there was high tide. I'm sure it was some stalker who made an impression on that lady that he was a serial killer" He said

"Well, that is true though," I said when all of a sudden he picked me up in bridal style making me gasp at his sudden action. 

"Jaehyun, what are you doing?!" I said 

"You worked hard today and now you need sleep. And I'll personally take care of it" He said winking making me chuckle and so did he. 

"Why are you so sweet?" I said pinching his cheeks

"Because... I love you"

"I love you too" 

[Time skip: Next morning]

Rays of sunlight fell on my face as I slowly opened my eyes trying to adjust to the bright light. I saw Jaehyun folding the curtains. I smiled looking at him and when he noticed me, he wished me good morning and so did I.

"Mom!" I looked at the door and saw Ji-hun standing there when she came running towards me. Climbing the bed, she engulfed me in a warm hug.

"Mom! I missed you so much yesterday!" She said and I could feel her pouting 

"I missed you, even more, Ji-hun" I replied. Just then my phone started ringing and it was a call from Jaemin. Jaehyun picked up Ji-hun and I whispered, "Get her ready for school. I'll be out soon". He nodded at my statement and closed the door once he went out.

"Hello? Jaemin? Why are you calling this early?" I said answering the call

"Sunbae.... there has been a murder... and I think... Jeong Min-ho is back"