Chapter 17- I'm sorry

[Time skip: A week later; Police briefing]

"... the murder cases that took place in the past few weeks were done by one of the police officers from the Gyo-dong police team who goes by the name of Im Hyun-Chul. We believe that he murdered the victims who were the patients of his main target, Jeong. He believed that Jeong was a bad-natured person but his victims said otherwise and out of rage, he murdered them and tried to divert the attention by portraying it similar to a case from 10 years ago... the Yeongam Gurim serial murder case" 

"How did the police conclude that Im Hyun-Chul is the murderer?"

"At first, Im Hyun-Chul's wife reached out to us for help and upon searching his house, we found the missing right-hand index fingers and the photos of the dead victims" 

"Why is Im Hyun-Chul dead? Was he killed by someone?" One of the reporters asked

"No, Im Hyun-Chul had kidnapped Jeong, and he killed him out of self-defense" Team leader Cha explained 

"Self-defense?"

"Yes... Im Hyun-Chul was killed out of self-defense" 

[Meanwhile: Home]

Jaehyun's POV:

"Dad, I'm sorry... did it hurt?" Ji-hun asked as she applied the antiseptic to my wound 

"No... how can it hurt when Ji-hun is the one taking care of me?" I said that made the six-year-old giggle. While she tried her best to apply the antiseptic, I reached out to the remote of the television and switched it on. After switching a few channels, I stopped on the news channels where I saw Y/n on TV. Right, she had her briefing regarding the recent serial murders. 
Upon seeing her mother on the television, Ji-hun ran up to the television and clapped her hands in joy.

"Dad! Mom is on television!" She said smiling from ear to ear. Seeing her happy made me happy. I looked at the television where the briefing was being done. 
"Yes... Im Hyun-Chul was killed out of self-defense"
I stood up from my seat and walked to Ji-hun. Putting my hand on her head, I gently caressed it before saying,

"Ji-hun, dad will come from the bathroom quick... till then, wait here and don't go anywhere, okay?"

"Yes, dad!" I smiled at her reply and walked to the bathroom. Upon entering it, I closed the door behind me and locked it with my left hand as I still had a cast on my right hand. I felt as if I lost strength in my legs which is why I fell to the ground. I pushed my hair back and covered my mouth as I remembered what happened the day I was kidnapped. 

I lied to them when they wanted my testimony... I didn't want to lie to Y/n but if I didn't, she'd resent me forever and I'd never want that. But... even though I told him that I killed him out of self-defense.... it wasn't self-defense... I was tied with a rope and lying on the ground, there is no way that I could've killed him.... someone else.... someone else killed him.... the person whom I saw standing behind him before I lost consciousness... I'm sure he killed him... but who was he?

"How dare you try to kill my son... you asshole?" My eyes widened when I remembered what I heard before I lost consciousness. The voice sent chills down my spine and gave me goosebumps because I had heard this voice... it was my dad's. 

End of POV

[Time skip: 12:30 pm]

Entering the passcode of the door, I entered the house and closed the door behind me. The house was silent and that was when I remembered that it was past 12. I took a sneak peek inside Ji-hun's room and I found her sound asleep. Assuming that Jaehyun was asleep as well, I walked inside the living room where I kept my bag and the files that I had brought on the sofa. Grabbing the water bottle from the table, I stood by it gulping down the water when I felt two arms being wrapped around my waist. 

I flinched at first but calmed down when I felt the peach scent hit my nose and I immediately knew who it was. I smiled and turned around to face him. Even though he had a cast on his hand, he tried his best to keep his right hand on my waist. I ruffled his hair before wrapping my arms around his neck and looking at him. He smiled at me, showing me his beautiful dimples. 

"I saw you on the TV... why did you look so nervous?" He teased me making me chuckle 

"Don't tease me... you know I have stage fright"

"Right... when you got passed the police exam and were asked to give a speech on your first day, you freaked out and kept looking at me and you-" I covered his mouth before he could speak any further. I could feel him smile. 

"How come you didn't forget about it even after 8 years" I questioned

"Because it's about you" He replied before leaning in and placing his soft lips on mine. I kissed him back by pulling him further close to me. I sucked on his lower lip and I could taste apples. I guess he had apples before I came. I could feel his right hand loosen its grip but his left hand wrapped around my waist and immediately pulled me closer to him. My heart was beating fast the entire time as if we are a new couple who were kissing while their parents were out having a chit-chat in the living room. 
I bet that he could hear my heart beating loudly and for some reason.... his heart was beating fast too

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry Y/n... I'm sorry that I keep lying to you"

I pulled away and picked up my bag and files which were on the sofa and I headed to the bedroom. I turned around and saw Jaehyun who looked at me with a "are we just gonna end it here?" look on his face.

"Don't give me that look... your hand is still injured and we ain't going any further than this" I said

"My right hand is injured... not my left" He replied making me scoff followed by a smile

"Get ready for bed... I'll sleep early today," I said closing the door behind me

I leaned against the door as the bag and the files dropped from my hand. The files were scattered on the floor and there was the sketch... the sketch that I wished was wrong.
"Can you make a sketch of how this person will look in his mid 20's?"
"Sure"

The photo that I had given them was the photo that I found in Jaehyun's room and the sketch they gave me... why... why does it look like Jaehyun? Why?
"Are you sure that this is accurate?"
"Yes, detective Lee. These sketches are made by the computer so I highly doubt if there are any flaws in it"
Tears rolled down my eyes when I looked at the sketch. I hugged my knees and looked at the table on which was a family photo of ours. People say truth is hard to accept as it is bitter sometimes which is why lies are better sometimes. I could feel this because... at this moment... I didn't want to accept that... Jaehyun... is Jeong Yun-Oh... the criminal who has been wanted by police for murder for over 10 years. I wanted all of it to be a lie... all of it.  

"Jaehyun... why did things end up like this?"