Chapter 8- The voice

[Flashback: 9 years ago]

Jaehyun's POV:

"... why... why do you keep giving me hope and then prove it wrong... Why?!" She yelled but I couldn't understand the reason for her anger. It was written that people tend to get angry when they are frustrated or they feel powerless... or they feel that they are being treated unfairly but... why is she angry with me? Did I do something that made her angry?

"There you go again... you keep looking at me with that face as if you don't understand what I am trying to say!" She yelled and tears rolled down her eyes. But you are right, Y/n... I'm having trouble understanding your emotions... I don't know why you are angry or why you are crying.

"When did I give you hope?" I questioned which made her laugh before she said,

"You are kidding me, right? Everyone in the neighborhood has seen it! The aunt who lives two blocks from here? She saw you install a new lock on my door when there was robbery here, and you managed to make her say that it was done by the police. Brother Lee, who visits the library and helps me with study? He saw you keeping peach juice which I love the most on my desk whenever I wasn't around. You never leave the library until I am done studying... You still want more evidence?!" I never realized but I did so many things... for her? Then is it what she is saying? That I-

"No... you can't love someone" That voice echoed through my mind. I could feel my eyes fill with tears and my hands form in a fist which soon started shaking. I stumbled and fell to the ground and Y/n rushed to me when she saw me. I just looked at her and she looked worried... for me. She said so many things but I couldn't hear anything but just whispers which said,

"A psychopath... can never love someone... but themselves"

End of POV

End of Flashback

[10:30 am; Gyeongju Police station]

".... Jeong Min-ho had two sons?" I said, completely surprised by what I heard. Previously, we were only focused on Jeong Min-ho's killing pattern and his victims so we didn't even pay attention to his family. We looked at each other before we focused back on Team leader Cha who had an old file in his hand. 

"His elder son is dead and his younger son is missing for over 10 years" 

"Wait... did you just say that his elder son was dead?" Minjun sunbae questioned to which team leader Cha snapped his fingers and pointed at him as if he was waiting for this question.

"Now here is the thing... Jeong Min-ho had a total of 21 victims out of which, he murdered 11 victims in the basement of his clinic, he practiced his surgery techniques on 3 victims, and... it was done while they were alive" He said. There were goosebumps on my arm and chills ran down my spine. Just the thought of what Jeong Min-ho did, scares me to death. 

"But, team leader Cha... there were 19 victims in total... 11 were murdered... 3 of them were used for his surgery practice... what about the rest 7 victims?" I questioned and everyone nodded at my question

"They were kidnapped by him but rescued by the police on the day Jeong Min-ho was shot but..."  

"But...?" 

"But... after Jeong Min-ho's death, his wife and elder son... were murdered and his younger son has been missing ever since then"

"You mean to say... his younger son murdered his own mother and brother and has been a wanted criminal for over 10 years?" Jaemin said in a complete state of shock

"The villagers saw him run away but they didn't know it was because he had murdered his family. The police searched for him for over a year but they found nothing. It was probably because he did not have an ID and he must've also changed his name by now. But the thing which shocked me the most was... that he was just 15 back then"  

"You don't need an age... to become a psychopath... you just need a trigger that'll encourage the killer inside you to show himself. Team leader Cha, what was the name of the family members of Jeong Min-ho?"

"His wife's name was Jeong Yeon-hee, his elder son's name was Jeong Min-Seok and his younger son's name was... Jeong Yun-oh" 

[Meanwhile]

Jaehyun's POV:

"Dad-d... what is inside-e those-e... white bags-s?"
"White bags? Ah, you must be talking about the two deer that I caught when I went hunting last night"
"Two-o... deer-r?"
"Yes. What else can it be?"

The fact that I knew that it wasn't two deer in the white bags but a human makes me wonder... what would have happened if he found out that I knew what he had been doing in his basement.

End of POV

[Time skip: 11:30 pm; Gyeongju Police station]

Putting the files inside my bag, I stood up from my seat all ready to go home. I grabbed my car keys and phone. Looking around, I found team leader Cha packing his things too and Minjun sunbae cracking jokes with Jaemin. I looked at my phone which had a notification from Jaehyun that said, "I made dinner. Let's eat together once you get home". His text was enough to make me smile just when the telephone started ringing. I don't know why but it felt as if something was wrong.

"Hello? Gyeongju police station" I said and for a moment I could not hear anything.... just the sound of heaving breathing... and whimpering. Putting the call on speaker, I looked at others and they had the same expression as me. Without wasting any more time, Minjun sunbae quietly walked to his desk and proceeded to trace the call. 

"Tell them that someone is trying to kill you" Our eyes widened when we heard the voice... of the killer

"Someone-e is trying-g... to kill-l me" The other person did as ordered

"And now ask for help," The voice said 

"Help-p me... please-e... help-p me" 

"Tell them that the killer is Jeong-" and before the sentence was completed, the call was disconnected. Minjun sunbae tossed the headphone off his ears because he was very close from tracking the location of the caller. We groaned under our breath but one thing was for sure... that was the voice of the killer... and also the fact... that he already has another victim.

[Unknown location]

Author's POV:

"Murder is like a hunting game for me. In this forest, I am the lion and everyone else is my prey. The prey who fights for its life until the very end is fun to hunt but then some prey try to meddle in my hunting.... and they die because of that but today... I had no fun... I think I should go hunting again tomorrow" He thought as he dragged along the two big white bags during which a scalpel rolled off from his pocket that was soaked in blood and had the initials "Jeong" inscribed on it. 

End of POV